PDA

View Full Version : Editing In Code view

berlamont
7 May 2010, 11:51 AM
Are there any plans on allowing one to edit directly in the code view?

aconran
10 May 2010, 12:58 PM
No, you can change the configuration settings in the bottom right after selecting a particular component.

mihaip007
11 May 2010, 2:28 AM
I think he is more in line with wanting to have something similar to dreamweaver! Meaning changing from design to coding and so on...! Is that forming part of your future vision?

jarrednicholls
11 May 2010, 7:43 AM
At the moment it is not in our sights. It opens a large can of worms by allowing the configuration code to be edited freely. What I can say from my own opinion is that code editing, if introduced, will most likely be targeted towards the implementation side of things, not the configuration/UI side of things. If you've ever used Visual Studio with .NET programming, their model of splitting up the IDE generated UI code classes from the user implementation code classes (the partial class feature) would be a model to consider, where the UI/configuration code would be through the Designer interface only and always generated by the Designer, and then a separate editable code section for implementation.

With that said, the Designer is meant for rapidly prototyping your UI visually, and then allowing you export the code and implement behavior in your IDE of choice. Our vision for the near future is about improving the UI prototyping experience...we are avoiding "re-inventing the wheel" and making the Designer what it was NOT intended to be - a full IDE.

mihaip007
11 May 2010, 11:32 PM
That is appreciated since the moment I have bought the licence! I agree with you!

However, to understand this properly: you are basically planning to make things such as for example: a button, when clicked a hello world would pop-up. Is this the kind of coding you are planning? 'Cause configuration should stay the way you guys have it currently...!