PDA

View Full Version : Ext Designer, Proxy Server

jarrednicholls
21 May 2010, 12:44 PM
IMPORTANT
Partial proxy support has been integrated, allowing users who were unable to authenticate to www.extjs.com from within their proxy environment now capable of setting up their proxy manually. However, the current support can only be configured one time before the first successful authentication. If you move your computer in and out of your proxy network, there currently isn't an interface to change your proxy settings at will. If you need to change your proxy settings, simply follow the instructions on this thread (http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?95929-Error-Your-licence-is-invalid&p=453593#post453593) to delete your user.license file from your machine. Upon the next start of the Designer, you will be able to change your proxy settings again at the login prompt.

A full proxy configuration interface is coming up very soon, with whitelisting capabilities as well. Currently, localhost, 127.0.0.1, and private subnet addresses are automatically whitelisted.

NOTE: Microsoft ISA Server or NTLMv2 authentication-based proxy servers are not supported. Please see http://cntlm.sourceforge.net/ or http://ntlmaps.sourceforge.net/ as options for running a local NTLMv2 compatible proxy server, to which you can point the Ext Designer. Native NTLMv2 support may be added in the future, but those two projects are fine workarounds in the meantime.

Thank you to everyone with proxy, GLIBC, and KDE/Qt compatibility issues for your patience while we were/are working out these issues. If anyone continues to have a problem with one of these three issues, please email designer.feedback [at] extjs.com or post to the forums here.

aconran
24 May 2010, 9:35 AM
We have released a Getting Started guide (http://www.extjs.com/products/designer/ExtDesignerGettingStarted.pdf) along with the Ext Designer 1.0.1 build. Feedback is welcomed!

azuroff
24 May 2010, 9:56 AM
The manual proxy setup worked for me. Thanks!

bozzoz
25 May 2010, 1:20 AM
Hello I have upgraded to 1.0.1 but when I launch the Designer I get this error: Ext Designer Installation corrupted, please try to relaunch...

I'm working on a MacBook Pro with Mac Os X snow leopard 10.6.3

Thanks for help!

jarrednicholls
25 May 2010, 5:34 AM
I just launched a small patch, 1.0.1.0c. If this download is successful you should be good to go. Let me know if you continue to have trouble. Thanks.

bozzoz
25 May 2010, 5:49 AM
Yes but when I launch the Designer get a update message. I click on install and i get a the error!

Please help me!

bozzoz
25 May 2010, 5:52 AM
Ok ok! at the second attempt the update work and now the designer start correctly! Thank you!

jarrednicholls
25 May 2010, 6:07 AM
Thanks bozzoz for letting me know. It may have been a failing download. We're going to be adding CRC checks on the updates soon to hopefully prevent that from happening altogether.

cliffordh
11 Jun 2010, 10:40 AM
where is cars.json from the example?

babbarkrishan
23 Jun 2010, 3:53 AM

lorezyra
21 Jul 2010, 1:12 AM
I understand that full proxy configuration is not yet implemented in XDS...

<begin::rant>
As a user within a large Enterprise, I can tell you that no security minded company will buy your product if you can't get the security features (i.e. Internet Proxy settings) working... While I am able to use this product at home, I can't work from home all the time. The client-company I'm working at employs a MS ISA server for all internet bound traffic. As such, I can not authenticate my XDS product and illustrate my work. Effectively, this makes the Designer useless in the Enterprise.

You may want to look at the models that both Sun and Microsoft have used to maintain their profits for so long. They focused their sales on the Enterprises that would pay the most. While the average consumer does contribute to their profits, the bottom line is ultimately driven by large companies that purchase bulk licenses of various products...

This does not even begin to take in consideration of closed environments where the internet is forbidden for some departments...
</end::rant>

My questions is: When can I expect to see full HTTP proxy support (via MS ISA) in XDS?

jarrednicholls
21 Jul 2010, 1:26 AM
Hi lorezyra,

The Designer will function without any internet connection whatsoever. Like any other piece of software, there are ramifications to this: 1) no auto-updates, and 2) manual license registration. We are able to get the software running in a closed environment or one where the network utilizes NTLMv2 proxies (which is basically only ISA server). The limitation is within the networking stack of the Qt library, which was chosen for its superior cross-platform capabilities and its built-in WebKit browser integration, among many other things. However, we weren't aware of its lack of NTLMv2 authentication support in its proxy implementation when we made this choice - though, it wouldn't have changed our decision even so.

While we will eventually support NTLMv2 natively, I have no ETA for that. But in the meantime, we can get your software running for you, or you can install a local NTLMv2-compatible proxy server on your computer, and point the Designer to the local proxy. See the first post of this thread for a list of a couple of proxy servers you can use. Either way, you CAN run the software at your client company's site. You can contact me at jarred [at] sencha.com and I will assist you further to get you up and running.

ijof9
22 Jul 2010, 2:39 AM
Can you change Ext's application theme while designing it in Ext Designer?

Right now it's blue and I'd rather have my custom one (for various reasons).

Thank you.

jarrednicholls
22 Jul 2010, 4:10 AM
At this time no, but it's a feature we want to add in a future release.

ketkoota
29 Jul 2010, 10:26 AM
OK, so I am in a proxy environment, and my company will not give me the proxy info. The only way I can authenticate is to bring my desktop into the server room, connect it to the dsl and go through the authentication. Only problem is, when I reboot my computer, I get asked to authenticate again. I cannot use the software!

Work around please??

jarrednicholls
29 Jul 2010, 7:36 PM
ketkoota,

Have you already activated the software? If so, it can run offline...you just need to login one time, technically. We also have instructions here on how to update the software manually, which is always up to date for the latest release at the time (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?103738-Manual-Upgrade-Instructions-to-xds-1.0.2.11).

With that said, have you tried installing a local proxy server that will automatically route to your company's proxy server, and then point the Designer to it? I also am surprised that your company won't give you the proxy information...how do they expect you to do anything? :-) If your machine is configured for the proxy in other software, e.g., your web browser, can you get the proxy information from there?

ariakerry
9 Nov 2010, 3:37 AM
Thanks aconran for the getting started guide. That worked up for me.

gtalimotoronto
2 Mar 2011, 7:01 AM
the mannual proxy is worked for me .can anyone tell me which proxy server is the best ?

bereal
20 Apr 2011, 12:46 AM
Just install Ext Designer 1.1.2 and cannot even start it in Trial (Demo) mode.

I am behind corporate proxy which is set up in Internet Options.

I tried all possible settings in Proxy SetUp of Ext Designer, but I always get error: "Unable to communicate with Ext Designer license server."

Any ideas?

bnw
22 Apr 2011, 12:16 AM
Just install Ext Designer 1.1.2 and cannot even start it in Trial (Demo) mode.

I am behind corporate proxy which is set up in Internet Options.

I tried all possible settings in Proxy SetUp of Ext Designer, but I always get error: "Unable to communicate with Ext Designer license server."

Any ideas?

Same problem!! :-(
I've sent an email to designer.feedback [at] sencha.com but without results!

bereal
22 Apr 2011, 12:30 AM
I was really intending to buy a license but with this kind of problems ... never

burhankhalid
19 May 2011, 4:35 AM
Is there some sort of offline activation available? Cause right now I'm stuck with trying to get it past the lovely NTLM auth at my work place :/

Julienoune
24 Jul 2011, 4:44 PM
Me too.

I want to test the designer. So +1 for NTLM support.

lorezyra
16 Aug 2011, 9:39 PM
Jarred,
Just curious... With the release of XDS 1.2 out today, has this issue been resolved?

azuroff
17 Aug 2011, 4:15 PM
Here's how I was able to activate Ext Designer from behind an NTLM proxy:

1. Download and install the following software if you don't have it already:

Cygwin (if you're on Windows)
Python - just be sure you install the package when installing Cygwin - I don't think it's installed by default.
The NTLM Authorization Proxy Server from http://ntlmaps.sourceforge.net/ - the download is just a zip file that you unzip somewhere.

2. In the ntlmaps-0.9.9.0.1 folder, set the following values in the server.cfg file:

PARENT_PROXY - the name of the corporate proxy server
PARENT_PROXY_PORT - the port used by the corporate proxy server
ALLOW_EXTERNAL_CLIENTS - set this to 1 if you're going to authenticate Ext Designer on a machine other than the one running your proxy server.
NT_DOMAIN - the NT domain used by your username
USER - the username you use when logging into the domain
PASSWORD - the password you use when logging into the domain

3. Once all that is set, start the proxy server with the command:

python main.py

You should see something like this:

NTLM authorization Proxy Server v0.9.9.0.1
Copyright (C) 2001-2004 by Dmitry Rozmanov and others.
Now listening at <local hostname> on port <local port>

4. In the Ext Designer proxy setup, use <local hostname> and <local port> (defaults to port 5865) for the proxy server, HTTP as the proxy type, and your domain username and password.

This *should* allow you to connect to the Sencha servers to authenticate your copy of Ext Designer. Once Ext Designer has been successfully authenticated, you can go ahead and kill your local proxy server - Ext Designer will work normally without it now.

This is what worked for my co-worker and I. As always, your mileage may vary.

lorezyra
17 Aug 2011, 5:11 PM
Does this work when the firewall setting uses a autoconfiguration script (.pac file)??

azuroff
17 Aug 2011, 6:22 PM
Does this work when the firewall setting uses a autoconfiguration script (.pac file)??

Our environment doesn't use a script like that, so I'm not sure if it would work or not.

okp
26 Aug 2011, 6:34 AM
+1 for automatic proxy configuration file (pac)
can't make it work.

c60
26 Aug 2011, 2:58 PM
@client site: Company IT will not allow 3rd party proxy software installations on their machines. These machines are not allowed on non-company networks. Hence, without an offline registration process and patching process, this will make it very difficult to sell to management. Note, the product is very rich with features and very friendly to use, but without the ability to properly handle proxies, this will make it difficult for corporate developers to get adoption.

Cheers,

Robert

lorezyra
26 Aug 2011, 8:16 PM
I agree. Especially for trail software, they should not require internet registration. Adobe software, for example, only requires registration after the trail period is over...

The current strategy employed for Designer is seriously lacking and only targets a finite audience.

And why not just allow us to enter a serial number directly into a (non-internet based ) registration form to validate our ownership of the software!??

lorezyra
30 Aug 2011, 9:36 PM
@okp:
azuroff's method does indeed work when you have a single proxy URL/IP to authenticate through. However, it does not support PAC files. To get around the PAC file, simply open it up in your favorite text editor and read the script to find the proxy server name. Then use that hostname for your server.cfg file in cygwin.

bnw
15 Nov 2011, 7:55 AM
A communication error has occurred.

This message is displayed every time I try to authenticate.

I tried to set proxy parameters with those of my company and the result is always the same. I don't know what to do!:s

Thank you!

lorezyra
15 Nov 2011, 4:27 PM
Please read this thread in it's entirety... Your answer can be found here... you just need to read.

pridkiki
13 Dec 2011, 2:02 AM
Thanks for any new information.

orcanosandyi
2 Feb 2012, 1:22 AM