Ext JS Premium Member Steffen Hiller's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough

Default Brainstorming ideas for apps

Brainstorming ideas for apps

Hi family and friends,

since this is my first post about Ext Touch, here's my brief first impression/feedback for now:

Ext Touch is really amazing stuff, UI and code wise! The team earns all my respect!
    I started an app the first day and pretty much copied and pasted the twitter timeline code. I could scroll that dataview up and down all day long on my iPad, so amazed was I with that scrolling behavior (and the mini scrollbar).

Unfortunately, after that first day of excitement, I didn't get much further with developing the app.
    It is/was supposed to be an app for managing and creating notes and bookmarks, with some ideas from my web app http://lli.st mixed in.
    To be honest, I simply lost motivation on following this idea/keeping developing the touch and web app. At least for now.

Moreover, I don't have any client project which could make use of the framework. Lucky are the ones who do.

Therefore, I've been wondering about ideas for a useful app based on Ext Touch.
    I definitely would like to play more with Ext Touch, I'm just not having a good idea for a good app right now, which on the one hand would show off Ext Touch capabilities, and on the other hand really would be useful and used by people.

Basically I just want to check if there are other peeps out their that are in a similar situation and that like to brain storm some ideas and maybe even hack together on one idea.

Cheers and a great weekend to everyone,
    Steffen

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mmullany is on a distinguished road

Steffen, a HTML5 tag reference for the iPad would be an awesome app (IMHO)

Vote Rating
    Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough

Thanks Michael,
    that's not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by extmullany View Post
    Steffen, a HTML5 tag reference for the iPad would be an awesome app (IMHO)

Vote Rating
    TopKatz is on a distinguished road

For me it's about getting existing web apps to work on touch devices. I have no shortage of controls that could be reworked using the toolkit.

Vote Rating

Maybe I should give my clients an iPad for free, so that they want their apps to be working on the iPad, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TopKatz View Post
    For me it's about getting existing web apps to work on touch devices. I have no shortage of controls that could be reworked using the toolkit.

Vote Rating
    TopKatz is on a distinguished road

Or, build the app, and send them a video of you using it.

Vote Rating
    aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about

Just to give a few ideas out:

I'm currently working on a new warehousing device for a company using barcodes and everything to an ipad/touch tablet.
    I've also started working with Android 2.2 for doing instant photos to a tablet then auto upload to the social websites with 3G/4G/WiFi a lot of potential here. Basically can take a pic, upload immediately, and don't have to worry about filling up file system space on the device's internal storage.

There is a lot of things that can be reworked with use with tablets that will speed up processes currently in place in the work place.

I already have 3-4 current projects that was using Ext JS 3.2.1 on touch devices. Now I can use the actual touch API making things a lot better for me.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    fuzelogic is on a distinguished road

How long did it take to get all of the controls sized properly to fit on the screen? That must have been fun

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mmullany is on a distinguished road

What do you see as the most high potential areas for rework? We have a pretty neat demo app for meeting management that we're working on. I think that the iPad is the first computer people can bring to meetings with them and not interrupt the face to face dynamic.

Vote Rating
    aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about aw1zard2 has a spectacular aura about

My friends and I have been waiting for ICD's tablet to come out that thing is fully loaded and then this week engadget announced a prototype of a tablet/projector hybrid.

ICD link:
    icds tegra 2 powered gemini

Tablet/projector hybird:
    digilife i one e-reader integrated projector

With all of my previous work on web app's through out the years I see a lot of places where things can be upgraded to an ipad/tablet and streamline workflow in multiple ways cutting costs, etc.

Another example would be for Trucking firms. With Geolocation now and 3g/4g cell towers and tablets able to do that could use a tablet to handle google maps for the trucker and update in real time the company about where exactly a truck is. The trucker could login and logout into a secure system and receive updates about bad weather/accidents/traffic jams before he gets to those places and give him an alt route to save time.

One company I worked with before used the mobile satellites in their trucks to keep track of them, this would be a major step forward.

Having Android 2.2 allowing the browser to control a camera insurance claim agents could take pics of damage and update the database in real time and cut out the need for taking the pic, sit at a pc wait for it to download from a camera, and then upload into a server. Same for regular users using tablet storage as a temp measure before uploading to their favorite web gallery.

I could go on but don't want to make a long boring post. Ooops too late... =)