Ext User
    Vote Rating
    basementjack2 is on a distinguished road

Question What do you think of ExtJS & ExtJS Designer

What do you think of ExtJS & ExtJS Designer

I am looking for a javascript control library, And have been eyeballing ExtJS and Designer from the sidelines.

I wonder if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with me regarding ExtJS and the Designer, as well as your support experiences if you've used them.

Thanks, Jack

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    Cyberqat is on a distinguished road

ExtJS designer is solid and, for me, a huge timesaver. It doesn't crash, and only rarely gets it display confused. (Ive only seen this once and I was able to refresh it easily enough.) I'd call it a 0.99 version in that there are a few places where all the convenient "point and click' functionality isnt three and you have to resort to property twiddling. By and lage, its quite good. It also writes very clean code, which is always a concern with any code generator.

The designer documentation isnt real good yet but so far the forums have answered all my critical questions.

ExtJS itself is fast, functional, and good looking. The documentation is adequate, but mostly reference docs. There are some okay book out there but no really definitive one ive found yet. They are enough to get you going and building interfaces. What there isnt, however, that ive found is really good book on the architecture of the system. The ExtJs object and component model, how it does its inheritance and why, etc. Most of that is still in the "black lore" category and you need to dig through blogs and ask questions on the forums.

Sencha - Desktop Packager Dev Team jarrednicholls's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough

Cyberqat, thank you for your good response.

There is a Learning Center that contains reference material, including the Ext Community Manual. There is also the Ext 2.0 Overview, found here: http://www.extjs.com/learn/Ext_2_Overview This is still largely relevant and the same for Ext 3.0, as the component model did not change much at all between the two versions.