Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    toddgeist is on a distinguished road

Default trying to understand workflow

trying to understand workflow

Hello,

I am triying to wrap my head around where Ext Designer fits into my workflow. It seems like an awesome tool for prototyping and doing mockups, but what happens later in the project? Can you re-export projects? Is there some best practice for setting things up to make it so designer can be used later?

Are there any docs or tutorials on how you might handle some of these issues?

Thanks for your help

Todd

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    toddgeist is on a distinguished road

Default Further along

Further along

OK, After more playing around it...

You can Re-export projects, and as long as you are careful not to mess with the files that say "don't mess with me" you can tweak your design and re-export.

I think I would call Designer a Protyping/Wireframing/Autogen tool at this point. Which is pretty cool.

Todd

Vote Rating
    j-joey is on a distinguished road

hi Todd,

yes you're right. and it saves lots of time, at least for me

Sencha - Desktop Packager Dev Team jarrednicholls's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough

Hi Todd,

That's an accurate description of the Designer. It will become more powerful in future versions, keeping you in the Designer more than in Code, but in general we're not aiming to completely replace an IDE. So yes, be sure if you want to edit the behavior or configuration of a component, to do so in its ".js" file and not in the ".ui.js" file, as the ".ui.js" file is overwritten on exports.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by jarrednicholls View Post
    Hi Todd,
    but in general we're not aiming to completely replace an IDE.
    should be a Netbeans or Eclipse plugin?

I dislike the idea to jump from tool to tool...

Vote Rating
    jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough

Netbeans and Eclipse don't offer the platform that Sencha required to build the Designer via "eating our own dog food", that is, with Ext JS, HTML, and CSS...without going to extensive lengths. The program also would have been around 150MB unnecessarily. We don't want to require Netbeans or Eclipse, the idea is to remain IDE agnostic.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough

150MB?

You can do a plug-in which relies on IDEs infrastructure and just send your code.

I'm convinced that ExtJS is a excellent framework and has a lot of potential but the lack of main stream Java IDE support and the lack of "official" server integration tuturials (less with J2EE) leads to painful adoption.

May be you are rigth having the designer IDE agnostic but to be more "appealing" to Java developers it should be fast track tutorials or simple eclipse or netbeans plugins to provice something like "ExtJS Project facet".

Regards.

Vote Rating

The Designer runs on an embedded browser, it would have taken some work to fit into an IDE. But again, we didn't want to force a user into Eclipse or assume they already had it...even if it was only used for the Designer (e.g., their normal dev tool is Visual Studio) it would have been *way* more complicated and simply overkill. Not that the IDE doesn't offer a good starting point...but Ext JS does too, and the Designer is written completely in Ext JS. And on that point, one of our main goals was to write the Designer in Ext JS itself.

With that said, better project integration has been suggested by other users and we're taking this feedback very seriously to work on this in future releases, yet maintain our promise to remain IDE agnostic.

As a Java coder, have you checked out Ext GWT yet?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

> The Designer runs on an embedded browser, it would have taken some work to fit into an IDE

Maybe less than you think. JBoss tools JSF editor uses XUL and there is some initiatives to do the same in Netbeans.

> ...but Ext JS does too, and the Designer is written completely in Ext JS

Interesting - What about subscrition to "hosted" designer? This way only the developer uses latest designer and maybe is more appealing (at least to me) to developers if price downs a little.

> With that said, better project integration has been suggested by other users and we're taking this
    > feedback very seriously to work on this in future releases

May be not just designer but project/page templates or project facets on java IDEs for ExtJS alone.

> As a Java coder, have you checked out Ext GWT yet?

Someone suggested before but I didnt go that way because I think ExtJS is better than Ext GWT: gadgets, support, maturity and, comming from MVC (JSF), I feel more natural configuration objects than object instantation. Also, even if I'm JEE developer, ExtJS allows me to change my server code to other platform (php or NET) if needed.

Regards.