Ext User
    Vote Rating
    idotzang is on a distinguished road

Default 2.2 -> 3.2 upgrade issues

2.2 -> 3.2 upgrade issues

Hi,
    We are currently running Ext 2.2.1.
    We want to upgrade to the latest 3.x branch (currently 3.2.1).

To fit Ext 2.2.1 to our visual requirements we “themed” the CSS file quite a bit (~150 changes).
    Looking at the 3.2.1 CSS, we see a very large amount of changes in comparison to 2.2.1 (breaking to structure/visual, changes in specific widgets, etc).
    This makes it very hard for us to upgrade our Ext version, as it will require us to re-theme the new CSS in new and different ways.

Has anyone else faced this issue?
    Can you please share your thoughts and experiences?
    How fundamentally different are the CSSs?
    How long did the upgrade process take (for what size of an application)?
    Was it possible to receive assistance (through Support or other) from the company?

Regards,
    Ido

Sencha - Community Support Team Condor's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of

1. Patching ext-all.css makes upgrading difficult. Instead, create an ext-overrides.css file with your changes and include it after ext-all.css.
    2. The major changes between an Ext 2 and 3 stylesheet are:
    - The Ext 3 css is split into structural and visual rules, but the css itself hasn't changed very much.
    - Buttons are no longer fixed height, so the css for buttons has changed significantly.

Sencha - Services Team arthurakay's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    arthurakay is a jewel in the rough arthurakay is a jewel in the rough arthurakay is a jewel in the rough arthurakay is a jewel in the rough

I had to deal with this issue about a year or so ago when I migrated from 2.2.1 to 3.0. I wrote a few blog posts which may be helpful:
    - Migrating ExtJS 2.2.1 to 3.0
    - ExtJS 3.0 Themes

It really isn't that difficult, and the process only took a day or so for me.
    Arthur Kay
    Developer Relations Manager, Sencha Inc.

Twitter | Sencha Chicago User Group

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

I found it reasonably easy. It depends how deeply your UXs and extended classes delve into the inner workings of Ext. If they don't, then it will be simple.

List of changes here: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...ading-to-Ext-3

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I found it reasonably easy. It depends how deeply your UXs and extended classes delve into the inner workings of Ext. If they don't, then it will be simple.

List of changes here: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...ading-to-Ext-3
    indeed. it took me 3 weeks to port an app that took me 1.5 years to develop. 3 days of those 3 weeks was troubleshooting an override that was meant to automatically remove field labels when a form element is removed from a 'form layout' container.