Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    bobmane is on a distinguished road

Default understanding revenue model and definition of "open"

understanding revenue model and definition of "open"

it appears to me Sencha is selling Ext designer but it is not clear to me what else either is or will be paid as one-off or Saas or truly free.

I can use magneto as example. its very clear they have community edition (free) and enterprise (paid) + you can buy support.

what is the parellell here? (here meaning all the Sencha offerings/code/software)

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Have you read the different product pages and pricing models?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Call it ignorance, sorry if that is the case (possibly not undertansing all the lingo used to decribe the products- as related to price)

I have reviewed the product pages and pricing models and it appears to me Sencha is selling Ext designer but it is not clear to me what else either is or will be paid as one-off or Saas or truly free.

I can use magneto as example. its very clear they have community edition (free) and enterprise (paid) + you can buy support.

what is the parellell here? (here meaning all the Sencha offerings/code/software)

Vote Rating
    Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough

ExtJS Designer is currently not an open source product, it is a commercial product to allow faster development of ExtJS applications. You can download a free trial at any time and use all it's features for 14 days.

Our framework products are dual licensed and follow the Quid Pro Quo principle as described here: http://www.sencha.com/company/dual.php

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

got it...thanks much

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mmullany is on a distinguished road

Default Revenue model

Revenue model

Quote Originally Posted by bobmane View Post
    got it...thanks much
    Bob. We license our SDK's under dual-license. You can use Ext JS and Ext GWT under an open source GPL license, then your own software must be licensed under the GPL. Many people and companies do not want to license their software under GPL, and in this case, people buy a commercial license for Ext JS and Ext GWT from us, which allows them to license their own software under non-GPL terms.

Ext Designer is a commercial only product, there is no open source or free version.

Vote Rating
    nlotz is on a distinguished road

Imagine the following scenario:

1. I have a support subscription and I'm getting bugfix releases from SVN (e.g. 3.2.2)
    2. I'm distributing my application as GPL (including the 3.2.2 release from SVN)

Would that be okay? If yes - what would keep people from separating and using/distributing the 3.2.2 release bundled with my application? Should I send an E-Mail with this question to licensing@extjs.com ?

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    rchamte is on a distinguished road

Exclamation What ??

What ??

who did this ?
    http://www.edojs.com/demo/#panel

do u hav reseller in CHINA ?

is this a good way to make money easily ?

Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by rchamte View Post
    who did this ?
    http://www.edojs.com/demo/#panel

do u hav reseller in CHINA ?

is this a good way to make money easily ?
    That looks like Ext JS, but no where near it.

Vote Rating

Actually, it seems to steal A LOT of Ext JS likeness, Edo.getCmp is one of them. but the organization of the code itself is very different. Hell, they even "borrowed" the API look and feel, but it's a horrible knockoff. http://www.edojs.com/api/