Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Ozone is on a distinguished road

Default What's going on with ie9 support?

What's going on with ie9 support?

Hi there.

We have a relatively complex ExtJS application, that seems to fail miserably on the ie9 platform in the test environment provided by Microsoft.

If rumours are correct, Microsoft is going to release the beta in September. Some of our users are definately going to try out that beta, and knowing that our app will break, we are very interested in hearing what is happening on the ie9 support.

There is an old thread about it here: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...-early-days%29, but it is from the begining of may, and it looks to me as if you are going more into feature detection (as recommended by Microsoft).

Can I rest assure that everything (or vital things) will be functional in the ie9 beta by mid september?

I guess my question really is: "What have you been doing over summer to support ie9?" )

/Ozone

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

Same situation here. We're going to need support for IE9 on the 3.x line.

Vote Rating
    alei.alhepSoft is on a distinguished road

I always recommend: Dont use IE!(nothing of the versions). Microsoft is famouse for don't admit its mistakes.Personally I don't worry for IE. but if you want know whats going to be in IE. I would say you that they are only going to fix some of his errors like implement the canvas and other HTML5 components.

Vote Rating
    tjstuart is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by joeri View Post
    Same situation here. We're going to need support for IE9 on the 3.x line.
    I'll no doubt need it for 2.x also. Why must IE make life so difficult? Despite the voice of experience in my head telling me otherwise - I had hoped that if our app works on IE7 and IE8 then *surely* it will work on IE9 with minimal changes. I think I will throw in the towel if not.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by alei.alhepSoft View Post
    I always recommend: Dont use IE!(nothing of the versions). Microsoft is famouse for don't admit its mistakes.Personally I don't worry for IE. but if you want know whats going to be in IE. I would say you that they are only going to fix some of his errors like implement the canvas and other HTML5 components.
    Sadly, the customers I build software for all run IE because they're large corporations, and IE is easier to manage centrally. Some of them even complained bitterly when we dropped IE6 support earlier this year, but they've swallowed that pill (thankfully!).

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    sg707 is on a distinguished road

September is really close... hopefully it'll be fixed! It's sad but IE is still the King and no one should ignore the King. It's strange how IE9 breaks the ExtJS..from what I know IE9 is aiming to be standard compatiblity...no?

Sencha - Community Support Team edspencer's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough

We're testing 3.x on the latest available IE9 currently and aim to have full support for it. That said, if your users are running beta versions of browsers it would be a good idea to set their expectations appropriately until the browser release is final.
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    Lionheart101 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by tjstuart View Post
    I'll no doubt need it for 2.x also. Why must IE make life so difficult? Despite the voice of experience in my head telling me otherwise - I had hoped that if our app works on IE7 and IE8 then *surely* it will work on IE9 with minimal changes. I think I will throw in the towel if not.
    It's not a problem with IE9. ext-base.js is using browser sniffing. This is why stuff work in IE8 and not IE9. There is no logic in there for the IE9 UserAgent. Microsoft recommends feature detection and not browser detection but I imagine this is a tremendous task to comb through the code and check for every feature and write their alternatives.

Ideally this is what needs to be done. However I wouldn't hold my breath for September.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    albeva is infamous around these parts albeva is infamous around these parts

if your app breaks you can for the time being force IE into some legacy mode. More info here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2...evelopers.aspx

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    oyvind.kinsey is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by alei.alhepSoft View Post
    Seriously, grow up.

IE9 is a big step up, and any errors in the IE9/ExtJs combo is entirely ExtJs fault as it uses faulty UA sniffing to adapt.
    There are several areas where ExtJs will actually think that IE9 is < IE6 due to the browser not being IE6 || IE7 || IE8. This is for instance the case with drag and drop.

Again, this entirely ExtJs' fault - it could easily have done feature testing on most (or all) of these.