Vote Rating
    n3rd is on a distinguished road

Question Firing events on popups (IE)

Firing events on popups (IE)

Hello,

we're currently developing an application that makes extensive use of popup windows(*) and have run into an issue on IE (this has been reported before but I couldn't find any solution).

The problem is this: our main window M opens a popup window P and keeps a reference to it. P then registers an event handler on an object in M. When the event fires, IE8 bombs out with the following error message:
    Code:
    JScript object expected
    ext-all-debug.js (Line 1735, Char 17)
    Code: 0
    which is the fire-function in EXTUTIL.Event.prototype. The code works fine in Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

You can see a minimal example of this here (click "open popup" and then "fire event").

Any hints as to how I can resolve this issue?

(*) Yes, there's a good reason for that. And no, Ext.Window is not an option.

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

Why is Ext.Window not an option?

Vote Rating

Because the popups are "satellite windows" that the user can place on his screen whereever he likes. Ext.Windows can only be positioned inside the original browser window. Our customer wants it this way and there really isn't much leeway on this.

Sencha - Community Support Team Condor's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of

I just posted an answer to the same question:

Ext is NOT safe to be used across windows. Each window should have it's own Ext instance and communication between the two windows should only be done using primitive datatypes (String, Number, Boolean, Date).

This means that you can't register an event handler in a different window, because that would mean passing objects to the other window.

Vote Rating

Well, that sucks :-/

Do I understand you correctly that this is a limitation within Ext and not impossible per se? In that case, shouldn't this be filed as a bug? Or is IE the bad guy here?

What workaround would you suggest? Marshalling the objects that are being passed to a different window?

Sencha - Community Support Team Condor's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of

That fact that you can't use a single Ext instance for 2 windows is a limitation in Ext (the ManagedIframe user extension has a lot of code to make this possible).

The fact that you can't pass objects from one window to another is a problem in IE (every window has it's own memory management and one window could destroy the object while the other is still using it).

Vote Rating

Ah okay. Because I do not share Ext instances. I simply have references from one window to objects in the other.

I see if I can find a way around this. Thank you.