Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    mherger is on a distinguished road

Default How to keep scope in selectPath callback?

How to keep scope in selectPath callback?

Hi

I'm using selectPath in a tree to select a node. If the node doesn't exist, I'd like to add it to the tree. Problem is that selectPath's callback function looses scope. I therefore can't access the tree's root. Or is there a solution?

Here's what I've been trying to do:
    Code:
    this.selectPath(target, null, function(success, selNode){
    	if (!success) {
    		root = this.getRootNode();
    		root.appendChild(new Ext.tree.AsyncTreeNode({
    			id: 'xy',
    			text: 'xy'
    		}));
    	}
    });
    The callback is executed, but getRootNode() fails, as this. is the window. What can I do?

Michael

Vote Rating
    RWaters is on a distinguished road

I'm not really familiar with selectPath, but I think createDelagate will do the trick

Code:
    	if (!success) {
    		root = this.getRootNode();
    		}));
    	}
    }.createDelagate(this));

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Hi Rich

Perfect! Thanks a lot. Where could I have found documentation about this? I do not even know yet where it's defined...

Michael

Vote Rating
    evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute

Vote Rating
    Juanito is on a distinguished road

Default Closures, context, scope, bound parameters

Closures, context, scope, bound parameters

This has nothing to do with select path. What you should understand is how createDelegate works. It makes sure that when a function is called, it is called with specific parameters and under a specific context (the this keyword). Look at the doc for createDelegate.

The proposed solution works because it ensures that the callback is called from the same context (scope) as what you pass to createDelegate, therefore "this" (the scope or context) is the same in both functions.

In your first attempt, "this" was the window because it is called from a global context (global only means in the context of window, since global variables actually belong to the window object)

So... a trick that may be used is to create a local variable and set it to "this". Then that variable is made available to the inner function (through a closure) without the need to use "this" in your function and get you confused about what the context will be when it's called. However, the createDelegate solution seems more elegant. Just telling you this to add to your bag of tricks.

Example
    Code:
    var me = this;
    	if (!success) {
    		root = me.getRootNode();
    		}));
    	}
    });
    There's a lot more that can be said about this. You're welcome to ask any questions if you are intrigued. Let me know if this is too confusing (and tell me what's confusing).

--Juan

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Juan/evant - thanks a lot for your pointers and help. I really appreciate the fast responses.

Michael

Thread Participants: 3