Ext User
    Vote Rating
    dominoedge is on a distinguished road

Question Overlays with CSS3 transitions

Overlays with CSS3 transitions

I've got a custom touch control that does some transformations across x,y, and z. In its default state, it has a 3d transform on Z that makes images appear at an angle. The problem is that when I try to create an overlay, the overlay (and mask) don't completely cover up this control and I get parts of the control "poking through" the modal overlay. I've tried to manipulate the z-index with CSS on both elements, but that seems to have no effect. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Ext JS Premium Member cnelissen's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    cnelissen is on a distinguished road

Post some code, and if possible, a screenshot.
    - Clint Nelissen

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I think the proxy that where I'm at won't allow this forum's image loader to work. I'll try to better explain what I'm trying to do. Code-wise, everything is working as expected except for the Z axis issue noted below.

To illustrate:
    1. Take an image
    2. apply a perspective and rotateY(30deg) on it, so half of it is in the positive Z space and part in the negative Z space
    3. place a ST button above this image that has an attached overlay handler
    4. press button, overlay appears over the image, but the right side of the image (the part that's rotated into the positive Z axis) is "poking through" the overlay

As I've mentioned, I've tried to play around with the z-index css prop, but it's not making a difference.

btw, the image effect I'm using is similar to the one here:
    http://www.marcofolio.net/css/3d_ani...pure_css3.html

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

How far do you take the z-index? I've done a lot with CSS3 transforms but haven't actually tried putting anything over top of it.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating
    blessan is on a distinguished road

Use some free image hoster like pichost and send the link. I also could use the forum image uploader.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

I've attached an image of what it looks like. You can see the transformed images "poking" through the overlay.

(I've only played around with -1, 0, 1 on the z-index.... I think I went up to 10)
    Attached Images

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried using webkit dev tools ton see what by default the z-index is on the overlay? And also z-index can go extremely high. If youn want something to be truly on top set it to 10,000 or more.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Did some more digging. Looks like the default z-index from ST is set to 10000 for overlays. I've tried setting this even higher with a cls setting, but no dice. The transformed images still poke through.

Is this maybe a limitation of Safari/CSS3 technologies as of now? At this point, I'd be curious to see anything z-index'd over a CSS3 transformed image to see if it's even possible.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    nosarious is on a distinguished road

Do some reading on 'changing the origin' on this page: http://developer.apple.com/safari/li...ransforms.html

Right now you are rotating in the center on the level just under the overlay. Half of the image goes into the page, half goes out of the page.

If you rotate 'into' the page on one the closest edge instead of the center it shouldn't cause this problem. Specifically think of being able to rotate them 'into' the page. If that still isn't the rebel spy you are looking for, then try to set the z-index of these to half of the width of each image (negative). If they are 50 pixels wide, then a z-index of -26 for them should work.

You may also be able to 'translate' the depth of the image as it rotates, so it sinks into the page as it is rotating on it's center. It 'appears' the same, but there may be some scaling differneces with this (getting smaller as it goes in while rotating) It may be an effect you are looking for.

You may find some more inspiration here: http://aext.net/2010/06/css3-animation-and-3d-effects/ and elsewhere on the internet.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Thank nosarious. Those are some pretty good suggestions to push the images behind the glass (so to say). I think I like the idea of rotating the image on the edge instead of center and I'll try that first. The next one I'd try is moving the image back and scaling its size up (should end up looking the same size (just further back) and compare the results. Unfortunately, I won't have enough time to play with it soon, so for now I "solved" the problem by hiding the whole image control when the overlay appears and then using a listener to have it reappear (a kludge to be sure).

Thanks again.