Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    willi is on a distinguished road

Default sass, compass, ruby getting started problems

sass, compass, ruby getting started problems

Hi,

sorry, I know it is a little of topic but I'm sure you guys can help me as it seems to be the way to style ST apps in the future. I tried to learn about SASS, Compass and Ruby today but I failed with installing it. This is what I tried:

I installed the ruby installer for windows, that wasn't a problem. But after that everywhere I read (here, ruby, sass and compass websites) they tell you just to 'start your terminal' and enter 'gem install haml'. But what is ment with 'your terminal' here? I started the 'command prompt with ruby' and entered 'gem install haml'. But of course this led to errors. Even though I changed the directory to the places where I extracted the 'gems'.

I know this is very newbie-staff but I searched the regarding websites for hours and there is no 'step-by-step' instruction for beginners like me. So, please, can anybody tell what do I have to do exactly?

Any help is extremely appreciated!

Sencha - Architect Dev Team aconran's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold aconran is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by willi View Post
    just to 'start your terminal' and enter 'gem install haml'. But what is ment with 'your terminal' here? I started the 'command prompt with ruby' and entered 'gem install haml'.
    The tutorial you found looks like it assumed a unix environment. In windows your 'terminal' would be your command prompt. If gem doesn't work as a command you will need to make sure that this path is in your environment variables
    Aaron Conran
    @aconran
    Sencha Architect Development Team

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    goozzik is on a distinguished road

You will need gem command to install haml. If you dont have rubygems here is tutorial http://allaboutruby.wordpress.com/20...step-tutorial/ .
    terminal is the 'cmd' from 'run'.

PS. I recommend you to get ubuntu or other linux distro/mac os x for ruby on rails.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    willi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies but I still don't get it to work. I'm working with windows xp and installed Ruby 1.9.2. When I type 'gem -v' in the cmd it says '1.3.7', so gem is installed too. Then I downloaded SASS from GitHub and unzipped it which results in a directory named 'nex3-haml-584a1f4'. The content of this directory I copied to 'c:\temp'. Back to the cmd I type 'gem install haml' or 'gem install c:\temp\haml' (also tried it with '/' instead '\') and always get the error 'No such file or directory'.

@aconran: What do you mean with '... this path is in your environment variables'? Which path? How can I check that? How do I put that path to my environment varibales? I'm not used to the cmd and simply don't know what to type in there exactly, sorry.

What am I doing wrong? Please help me.