Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    roosevelt is on a distinguished road

Post Advantages over a web based UI

Advantages over a web based UI

Hi,

Currently I am developing a web based application that uses EXTJS 3.0 library. It's a pretty big web app, with enterprise level functionality.

I was wondering if I actually use Adobe AIR to build my application UI, instead of hosting it on the web server. Does it actually make it faster?

For instance, I design my web app in the Adobe AIR but all the data requests and posts will be made to the server. Any advantages or disadvantages over that?

Thanks

Sencha - Community Support Team Condor's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of

Adobe AIR doesn't make your applications faster (apart from the fact that it is using WebKit instead of the default browser - which in most cases it a rather slow IE8).

The main advantage of using Adobe AIR is that you get some access to the local PC, including local storage and a small SQL engine.

If you use this to buffer data, you can reduce the number of requests to your server.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    vinothbabu is on a distinguished road

For instance, I design my web app in the Adobe AIR but all the data requests and posts will be made to the server. Any advantages or disadvantages over that?
    Advantages:

Air execution is really fast. AS has a JIT compiler which makes.

If you are converting your flex or html application, then its easy to convert as its the same runtime.

Disadvantages

AIR apps have file access, clipboard access, support multiple windows, support drag and drop, and can trigger notifications (“toast” in Windows). If you app needs to interact with the desktop in other ways, the chances are that AIR is not suitable.

My word is don't convert, you don't need too unless if you are looking for some local system access for some operations.

Vote Rating
    bereal is on a distinguished road

Providing your app as air app makes sense:

- user downloads full app just ones, as one file, during installation (and updates)
    - web app is rendered and executed in WebKit (not IE
    - many usefull stuff as local database, clipboard/filesystem access, no request number limitations and so on
    Ext JS + Adobe AIR solutions

Vote Rating
    Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of

I don't know if your first point is really an advantage. It's far easier to upgrade a webapp than an AIR app (only the server needs updating).

The fact that you can make off-line (or sometimes online) apps is also a big pro for AIR.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Keep it simple

AIR use it for desktop
    Flex use it for Web Apps.

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Condor i am not able to pm you as it says your limit has exceeded.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by vinothbabu View Post
    Condor i am not able to pm you as it says your limit has exceeded.
    Cleaned up mailbox.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Jack_S is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I think that using Air can swing two ways.It all depends on how you use it.

I think some of the advantages lie in the fact that you have access to local resources, so for small businesses, they don't need to have power house servers to support hundreds of web users.

Also, there is the advantage that you can have a core app and then have unique versions of the air app for different customers, something like a features version.

Air did the smart thing to allow automatic updates, which is equivalent to a single server side update. And for this to happen in the background is great.

Also, something that is not used much, is Air,+ExtJS+SQLite+Oracle Mobile Server, which basically allows you to synchronize the local SQLite database without the user having any knowlwedge of this. Beautiful for offloading servers.

I think also, in the past years, everybody is saying servers, servers, more power and the most underutilized resources in large companies are people own laptops/desktops. So who cares if 1 user is using 250MB of run on his latpop to run your app. No one Cares. But tell that to a server administrator to have 1 session consume 250MB!

Would I use Air for a large scale enterprise app. Hmm really cannot say.

Also, one of the things that is just really annoying, is the differences between different browers. Everybody already forget about the export to excel story ?? Oh, and lets not forget multi-platform. 1 code fits all.

But there are drawbacks, the whole security sandbox, was a real pain in the beginning, small community for Ext.Air.

I think that it all depends on your target market and the whole goal behind the app itself. Who wil it serve, what are the connection limitations, how big is my databases, how much data does the client need to access? What si the scale of customers, users?
    Regards

Jack