Ext User
    Vote Rating
    bryanrieger is on a distinguished road

Default Using Sencha Animator with an existing HTML Documents

Using Sencha Animator with an existing HTML Documents

On thing I'm finding to be a huge limitation for us is the fact that currently Sencha Animator is essentially only useful for replacing the type of Flash animations we don't typically create anymore. You can add lines, circles, images and text (all essentially are divs in Sencha Animator), animate them and have Sencha spit out the html/css for you to include in your own pages/apps/posts/sites/whatever.

A more realistic (and useful) use case for us would be to be able to bring in existing (semantically meaningful) HTML docs (with H1, H2, p, li, etc elements) where we would then be able to use Sencha to define animations and transitions on defined elements (either by .class or #id) within the document. I can't help but feel that at this time Sencha is missing a bigger opportunity to define how motion (and interactivity) is defined on the web, rethinking many of the old (and essentially useless) metaphors (timelines, stage, etc) in the process.

As Flash CS5 (and no doubt other Adobe products) will be re-tooled over the coming months/years to produce 'HTML5' animations (via canvas currently, CSS3 eventually) I'm not sure there's much that Sencha Animator currently does significantly better than the more familiar and industry standard tools.

Sencha - Management Team
    Vote Rating
    mmullany is on a distinguished road

We are definitely not trying to make a general purpose web editor for HTML5 with Sencha Animator. Our first version of Animator is targeted very specifically at providing short-form (mostly self-contained) animations for mobile devices. It's a big gap that no-one solves today and we want to solve this specific problem completely before we move on to more general problems. I have no doubt that Adobe will do "export to HTML" stuff in all their products. But our belief is that starting with concepts and workflow that are CSS/HTML native will always be a better solution (if we didn't believe this, we wouldn't have built this).

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Thanks for taking the time to edit your reply (compared to what I received via email). I don't recall suggesting that Sencha Animator become "a general purpose web editor for HTML5", simply that one be able to import existing HTML (v5 or otherwise) documents (or fragments) into Sencha to be animated. My issue is with the un-semantic markup currently being produced by Sencha Animator, and I'd love the opportunity to simply use my own that isn't entirely comprised of divs and spans.

As for the 'big gap' you describe - sure, if you say so. I've no doubt a few ad agencies will pick up a copy or two to experiment with - but I still maintain that actual, talented animators will opt for more familiar tools the first chance they get. I guess what I'm trying to get at is "yes, absolutely" you can fill a temporary big/little (depends on your perspective) gap for short-form animations OR you can fill a much larger gap by solving a real problem that not only fits your initial strategy but gives you a real opportunity to leap-frog the big boys.

Just my 2 cents. Currently I think Sencha is kinda neat, but I wouldn't invest much time (or money) into it - as it doesn't solve any real problems I have when designing for mobile devices.

Sencha - Management Team
    Vote Rating

What kind of semantic markup are you looking for>: HTML5 style semantic tags, basic H1/H2 etc. Or the ability to define your own CSS classes, and re-use them?

Ext User
    Vote Rating

Ideally looking to use any structural elements (h1...h6, p, header, article, etc) be they HTML5 or otherwise (although video would likely be problematic). As for the ability to add .classes and #ids - they always help to add addition meaning to content, and are of course helpful when designing the visual styling via CSS.
    Last edited by bryanrieger; 1 Nov 2010 at 8:38 AM. Reason: Replacing temporary message after original message was deleted during an attempt to post it.

Sencha - Management Team
    Vote Rating

I think we can give you structural elements really easily, (and we already give you #ids). Adding .classes might take a little more work - mostly to figure out how to make classes make sense with the existing UI.