Ext User
    Vote Rating
    KristinePPhoto is on a distinguished road

Default How to control what non-webkit browsers "see"

How to control what non-webkit browsers "see"

Hi there,

Just curious...for those browsers that don't support webkit (Firefox, for example) is there a way to control the image that the user sees? I did a quick animation, tested it in Firefox, and the image I see looks all garbled and nasty. Is there any way to specify that some sort of static image is shown to browsers that don't support this animation? I'd like for people to see something at least somewhat nice (even if it's static) instead of gobbledy gook.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks! Btw, this application is seriously awesome. I've been looking for a non-flash app to do an animation lead-in for my business site for ages, and I'm really excited to have stumbled upon this one.

Cheers,
    -Kristine

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    elchiva is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue with firefox and IE, is there anything we can do other than filtering users in our websites?

Sencha - Management Team
    Vote Rating
    mmullany is on a distinguished road

The easist thing to do is to position a full width/height div/image smack on top of everything and then add an initial keyframe that moves it off stage. Non-webkit browsers will ignore the animation and you'll get your fallback image.

The proper, but vastly more time-consuming way to do it is to create a somewhat meaningful scrollable layout of your images and text, then use initial keyframes to move everything off page, and bring them into the stage from there.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    KristinePPhoto is on a distinguished road

Thank you! The first part I get....it's this second bit that I'm not quite following: "create a somewhat meaningful scrollable layout of your images and text" What do you mean by somewhat meaningful scrollable layout??? Thanks again for your help - I really appreciate it. Cheers, -Kristine

Sencha - Management Team
    Vote Rating
    mmullany is on a distinguished road

What I mean is that you could actually layout the content of your animation in an overflow=auto stage - images, captions etc, in an order that makes sense. You could create initial keyframes that move all this content off stage before you start to animate it. In this way, older browsers will get an experience that isn't animated, but still shows the content, while new browsers get the animation. It involves some manual hacking of the output HTML/CSS, but it gets you there.