Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    plalx has a spectacular aura about plalx has a spectacular aura about

That's quite impressive, great job man, if the tobiuGrid has all features the Ext.grid.GridPanel has, it's a huge improvement over the ExtJS grid... in fact, it would show that the ExtJS grid should be redesigned to offer better performances, because it look's totally inefficient and that's unacceptable... Still, since the grid is probably the most used component in all apps and there's a an official grid component already, I don't think using a ux to replace it is a good idea...

Sencha - Training Team mrsunshine's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mrsunshine will become famous soon enough

Great work Tobias!!

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jheid is on a distinguished road

Any chance to see or use it "live"? I have an project where this could be needed but I have to test it (e.g. with IE 8) to decide whether it will be useful enough for this or not...

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    krzyzak00 is on a distinguished road

Great news.
    I'm currently running app with grid containing 1000+ rows and it's really slow in FF3.6. Can't wait to see it working live

Vote Rating
    tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all

hello everyone,

thanks for the feedback so far. i can't release a live demo right now for obvious reasons, but what i can do is

a) release more benchmarks
    b) release the performance testing tool (excluding the tobiuGrid)
    c) creating a video showing the performance in the testing tool

for a) i need more information like 200 rows, 30 cols, 0 invis cols. please don't ask for too many cases since even those take some time for creation.

the testing tool is quite smart, since it allows you to reconfigure grids with specifying the rows and cols and loads the store with random data.

i am still thinking about how to continue this project in a good way. since i am working as an ext dev 40 hours / week on another product, i have a quite limited amount of time for other stuff like theming, the fieldmanager, the star rater ux and other opportunities.

i have to decide if i start bilding the tobiuCondorGrid, which is way faster but needs a completely new implementation for grouping, row expander, ux etc. and afterwards combine this version with thorstens liveGrid. The other direction would be to improve the tobiuGrid further and combine this version with the live Grid.

In both cases, i guess that it will take 3 months for developing it in a good way and additional time for bugfixes, additional ux, upgrades and a migration to ext 4.x.

So, a huge project like this one would only make sense to be continued if there were at least 10 companies who are willing to pay a price about 1000€ for a license. If this is the case for your company, let me know it. Also please let me know, if the tableGrid approch is more interesting to you or the "classic" approach which guarantees that all features are available for the price of a lower performance.

The other way to continue this project could be, that it becomes an official part of the sencha framework.

kind regards
    tobiu
    Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig

S-CIRCLES Social Network Engine

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rmills is on a distinguished road

Considering the importance of grid performance to most ExtJS customers, why doesn't Sencha fund it's development?

Vote Rating
    tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all

these numbers will definitely vary on what kind of computer you use, since the grids get slow because the cpu is 100% busy. this is maybe not even a good example, because > 100 rows i would go for a buffered view -> liveGrid.

but you hopefully can see the potential of combining this with thorstens buffered view.

tobiuGrid250.png
    Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig

S-CIRCLES Social Network Engine

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    jheid is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by rmills View Post
    Considering the importance of grid performance to most ExtJS customers, why doesn't Sencha fund it's development?
    That's exactly what I'm asking myself. But remember that even things like LiveGrid aren't integrated although I think this is a component that's even more needed in the core.

So, perhaps Sencha will improve the speed significantly, although perhaps not as far as Tobias did.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    King_Aero is on a distinguished road

The speed improvement may be less relevant with the release of 4.0 since it sounds like performance has been greatly improved. But probably not to the extent that is seen in the tobiugrid.

Also, while I have no problems paying for value, 1000 euros sounds pretty steep considering how much it costs for licensing of ExtJs itself. Especially since you are not providing added functionality, but merely enhancing a current one. You are also doing this on the side, so its highly unlikely you will be able to offer the support mechanisms that companies will need to use your "product".

Not trying to rain on a parade or anything. I think this is a great improvement to the grid and look forward to seeing what becomes of it.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Gerard Pastis is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

It's really shameful to present a product and say: "I don't have time to working on it, unless I'm payed for"
    The advertised price is totally amazing ! 1000$ for an ux ?
    It would have been much more respectful to propose this extension to the community or the Sencha team who had time and desire to improve the ExtJS Grids....
    One thing is certain: I will buy your product, but I will make it public... This will allow the community to suggest improvements and bug fixes....

CU