View Poll Results: Do you like the new Field class names?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the new Field class names, they make sense

5 38.46%
  • Not happy with the new Field class names, don't make sense to me

5 38.46%
  • I don't care

3 23.08%
    Ext JS Premium Member Steffen Hiller's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough

Default Do you like the new Field class names?

Do you like the new Field class names?

I'm all open for cleaning up the API.
    Though, I'm not happy with the recent API changes regarding the form field classes in Sencha Touch 1.0 RC1.

Code:
    Ext.form.DatePickerField renamed to Ext.form.DatePicker
    Ext.form.EmailField renamed to Ext.form.Email
    Ext.form.HiddenField renamed to Ext.form.Hidden
    Ext.form.NumberField renamed to Ext.form.Number
    Ext.form.PasswordField renamed to Ext.form.Password
    Ext.form.SearchField renamed to Ext.form.Search
    Ext.form.SpinnerField renamed to Ext.form.Spinner
    Ext.form.TextField renamed to Ext.form.Text
    Ext.form.UrlField renamed to Ext.form.Url
    Having a class NumberField makes more sense to me, than having a class named only Number.
    You may *guess* that it's a field because of the form namespace. But why guessing when it can be explicit.

Well, that are just my 2 cents.
    Woud like to know what others think, therefore I added a nice poll.

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but, I doubt they will change. I say this because there is a significant cost savings in changing these names.

Btw, I think you can expect these changes in Ext JS 4.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    cdonnellytx is on a distinguished road

The issue I have with it is that it breaks compatibility with the currently released ExtJS.

We are writing a mobile version of our webapp and share quite a bit of code between the two to ensure consistency in business logic, as well as some UI aspects that are similar between the two platforms. Anything that differs between desktop and mobile is put into subclasses or other leaf-code files. Naturally, this approach is not without problems due to the platform differences, but the more consistent the two are, the less we have to refactor to just get the app going.

However, we are stuck on an older beta of Sencha Touch (0.95) because of changes like this one as well as changes to Ext.util.MixedCollection that were made in 0.99 that break compatibility with ExtJS. This would not be a huge deal, except that the version of ExtJS we are on is fairly recent (3.2.2), the latest ExtJS (3.3) does not include these changes (nor should it!), and 4.0 -- which may or may not contain these changes -- is not even in beta yet (AFAIK).

Side note: We aren't on 0.98 because time constraints did not permit us to upgrade (0.96-0.98 saw significant changes in Sass and code). The difference is that the changes are specific to Touch, which is in beta, and we accept that beta APIs will change. The Field and MixedCollection changes are not like that, however.

# Chris
    Last edited by cdonnellytx; 12 Nov 2010 at 7:41 AM. Reason: to clarify "breaks compatibility with *current* releases"

Vote Rating
    Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough Steffen Hiller will become famous soon enough

Well, first I want to see what other people think and if someone has a good explanation for those changes.

They said they will include those changes in Ext JS 4. So if they change those names, it would have to be before Ext JS 4.
    But like I said, I first want to create a space to talk about those changes.

What significant cost savings do you mean, Jay? For me the changes have a cost by loosing the class names clarity.

Vote Rating

cdonnellytx, Ext JS 4 will share all those new APIs with Sencha Touch. In the code you can see that they separate all classes that can be shared into a platform folder.

Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen Hiller View Post
    Well, first I want to see what other people think and if someone has a good explanation for those changes.

They said they will include those changes in Ext JS 4. So if they change those names, it would have to be before Ext JS 4.
    But like I said, I first want to create a space to talk about those changes.

What significant cost savings do you mean, Jay? For me the changes have a cost by loosing the class names clarity.
    Cost savings in terms of footprint/space.

That said, there will be a "Legacy" layer that Ext JS 4 will come with to help w/ compatibility.

Regarding "breaking changes" with Sencha Touch, you are building software with alpha/beta software. it's bound to change! You take that risk.

I stopped developing apps in ST .93 because of breaking changes with .94 to .93, along with stability issues.

Vote Rating

Cost savings in terms of footprint/space.
    I think the footprint/space doesn't play a role here.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Steffen Hiller View Post
    I think the footprint/space doesn't play a role here.
    No? Think of how many times the string "Field" (5 bytes each instance) is duplicated in the classes? Those class names don't get compressed. If you could Eliminate 150 Bytes from the framework, wouldn't you? Each byte counts.

And don't talk about gzip, because a lot of developers don't have a clue what gzip is, let alone how it plays a role in server side content delivery.

The Sencha team has a lot of *really* smart developers on the team now, instead of just a few. They are making hard choices to make the framework better. This is one of them.

Vote Rating

Still don't buy the footprint argument, since my opinion is that we loose clarity. Tomorrow we will rename Ext.TabPanel to Ext.Tab or Ext.T to save another few bytes?

You didn't need to mention the smartness of the developers, I do highly respect them.
    Still, a forum is about sharing opinions.

Vote Rating

I think after some time you will get used to it.