Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Bucs is on a distinguished road

Default New Touch Implementation in the wild

New Touch Implementation in the wild

We just launched a new Sencha Touch implementation for our client Pier1.com's mobile site. It features backend web crawling technology to display thousands of product pages on the fly. UI still needs work and we are planning many new features like Geo maps, local storage, e-commerce etc, in the near future. Check it out...speed is very good considering what is happening on the backend. Using Touch reduced the time to market for this project considerably. Not optimized yet for iPad but will be soon. The app is using Touch's new MVC framework on the client as well as a server side MVC framework. Looking forward to Direct being supported in Touch and the upcoming 4.0 release of ExtJS!

Http://pier1.com (on mobile browser)

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    costis is on a distinguished road

Very nice app. Works good on HTC Desire (Android 2.2) but if I pinch/zoom the layout does not readjust and becomes a mess. Same thing happens if I flip my phone from portrait to landscape.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thanks costis...yes, all very valid points and known. Meeting the launch date was critical so had to roll with a reduced feature set out of the gate. Much of what you have mentioned is planned in the very near future, specifically browser detection and serving downlevel HTML pages to older browsers based on device capabilities, as well as better handling of device orientation.

Thx for the feedback tho!

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

@Bucs The zip code should use number field correct? Also when you click on "Search" and press "Cancel", it will still try to search.

Also somehow when I was navigating around, maybe after I hit "Home", there was two footers.

EDIT: Actually, on my desktop PC using Chrome, I went to m.pier1.com and it shows 2 footers right away.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thanks for the feedback Mitchell. Not sure what's going on with that, I have fixed those items once and delivered to internal dev who had updated at one point, but apparently they have rolled back to an earlier version. Have to check out why...thanks! Were you doing all this today?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Ok wow, just looked at site. They are apparently adjusting a bunch of stuff right now...hence the issues. I should be expecting a call any minute now

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I just spent a couple minutes right there browsing around... to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the look of it. It looks a little junky. May not be you, I have been put into spots where I have to do what they want even though it's a horrible idea. Still gotta get paid
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Not sure what you mean by "junky", but if you are referring to the graphics etc....yes, that is the agreed upon design delivered to me, which I implemented. We originally had a much more "appy" iPhone look to it, with top and bottom docked toolbars etc...but it was sliced in favor of branding inconsistencies with desktop site. What I am seeing out there is companies want to make the move to mobile, but are having a hard time getting on board with the app look for their mobile sites...still stuck in the web design mentality it appears. Oh well...

Touch Premium Member jeffcrilly's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jeffcrilly is on a distinguished road

On iPad there are two footers on the page. Here's an (attempt at) a screenshot..
    http://jeffcrilly.tumblr.com/post/2094970385

Also it crashed safari on iPad 4.2.1 when I went from landscape to portrait. Not reproducible tho.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Thanks, but as I stated in the first post, UI still needs a lot of work and it's totally not optimized (or even that usable) on iPad yet.