Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    cavalleydude is on a distinguished road

Default Sencha Touch, WebKit and Firefox

Sencha Touch, WebKit and Firefox

I've been looking for the definitive answer regarding the Touch library and it's ability to work in Firefox browsers. I've read multiple posts that state Touch is for browsers based on WebKit, and that seems to excludes Firefox.

Is there any way to make it work on Firefox today (via a plug-in, etc)? Are there plans for Firefox support in the future?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Scott

Sencha - Community Support Team VinylFox's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    VinylFox will become famous soon enough VinylFox will become famous soon enough

There is no easy way and there is also no motivation to make it work in FireFox since there are no mobile devices that use the Gecko layout engine.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

That's too bad. I like the ability to write the app once using the Touch framework and having the app format for the device {iPhone, Android, iPod, iPad, Desktop }. But, having to tell all users that FF is not supported is tough. Hopefully FF will enable WebKit in the near future. I'll check with the FF support group.

Thanks for the answer.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt FireFox will ever "enable" WebKit. Sencha has blogged about wanting HTML5 to be more supported by all browsers so that they wouldn't have to rely on "-webkit*"
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Ext User
    Vote Rating
    web4everyone is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by VinylFox View Post
    There is no easy way and there is also no motivation to make it work in FireFox since there are no mobile devices that use the Gecko layout engine.
    There may not be many of them compared to iOS and Android based devices, but there are mobile devices using gecko for their default web browser and firefox mobile is widely available.

-posted from my N900

Vote Rating
    gcallaghan is on a distinguished road

I've been interested in this too. I haven't had a chance to take a look but I think that the place to start would be the sass files used to generate the css, specifically...

Code:
    $experimental-support-for-mozilla: false;
    $experimental-support-for-opera: false;
    $experimental-support-for-microsoft: false;
    $experimental-support-for-khtml: false;
    ...found in resources/themes/stylesheets/sencha-touch/default/core/_core.scss

Note, this is completely beyond the use case, is unsupported, and I haven't even tried it, so you mileage may vary on this rough terrain should you choose to pursue it. But let me know how it goes ;-)

Also, I could be completely wrong.
    Last edited by gcallaghan; 13 Jan 2011 at 5:16 PM. Reason: punctuation

Sencha - Community Support Team VinylFox's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    VinylFox will become famous soon enough VinylFox will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by web4everyone View Post
    There may not be many of them compared to iOS and Android based devices, but there are mobile devices using gecko for their default web browser and firefox mobile is widely available.

-posted from my N900
    Wow, an N900. I thought the Maemo OS was long dead - even they replaced their Gecko based browser with an Opera based one like 2 years ago.

Either way, the percentage of mobile devices less than 2 years old using gecko is so amazingly tiny. I don't know of a single one.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

In a perfect world, each browser would work exactly the same or close to it but that just isn't the case. On mobile devices, WebKit has so much more majority than any other that it's just not a good idea to compromise to include the very very small percentage of devices.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    keithoth is on a distinguished road

The only way to get websockets to work in a mobile web application with sencha touch is with firefox. Firefox 4 mobile is the best mobile browser for the android. Sencha should support and android should make it the default browser for all android devices, unless google wants to create a mobile chrome.