Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by arthurakay View Post
    I guarantee your project isn't worth so much money that anyone is willing to go through all of this trouble to steal your code.
    A cold but hard reality for any web developer: what we do just isn't important enough to steal. Ouch.

Sencha - Services Team arthurakay's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    arthurakay has a spectacular aura about arthurakay has a spectacular aura about arthurakay has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by joeri View Post
    A cold but hard reality for any web developer: what we do just isn't important enough to steal. Ouch.
    My point was more that any code, whether it's on the client/server/desktop, could be rewritten by any other developer. No work is completely unique (ideas often come from somewhere else) - and "stealing" code isn't worth anyone's time because in order to effectively use it you would need to spend hours figuring out how it all worked.

In other words, a developer's time is worth more when the code is written from scratch because it will take less time to put into production.

But you're right @joeri - web developers are greatly under-appreciated.
    Arthur Kay
    Developer Relations Manager, Sencha Inc.

Twitter | Sencha Chicago User Group

Vote Rating
    talha06 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by arthurakay View Post
    I guarantee your project isn't worth so much money that anyone is willing to go through all of this trouble to steal your code.
    Thanx for ur interest and reply; except this one. It's not kind to judge someone's work like this..

Thanx everyone for sharing their ideas and taking their time..
    "People will never forget how you made them feel."
    linkedin.com/in/talhakabakus

Sencha - Services Team arthurakay's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    arthurakay has a spectacular aura about arthurakay has a spectacular aura about arthurakay has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by talha06 View Post
    It's not kind to judge someone's work like this..
    @talha06 - I didn't mean to offend you, if I did. I'm simply pointing out the simple fact that it's not worth your time to worry whether-or-not someone is going to steal your code. If my comment was too harsh, I apologize for the way I worded it.
    Arthur Kay
    Developer Relations Manager, Sencha Inc.

Twitter | Sencha Chicago User Group

Vote Rating
    talha06 is on a distinguished road

Actually I don't think like u said.. U can see many many great extensions/plugins from "Extensions" forum. I'm an open source supporter and also developer who tries his best to use only open source technologies. It's OK to share them here or at any other OS community; but it's not OK that people from other companies directly take and use them. If u read my previous message, I explained the reasons; this is also something that wanted by both my company and also our customers. They want an unique projects both as a screen and mentally.. So I opened this topic to take advices from experienced people.. Anyway thanks again for your reply..
    "People will never forget how you made them feel."
    linkedin.com/in/talhakabakus

Sencha - Community Support Team mschwartz's Avatar
    San Diego, Peoples' Republic of California
    Vote Rating
    mschwartz will become famous soon enough mschwartz will become famous soon enough

Your recourse is legal, not technical.

As long as anyone gets the code downloaded to them, they're going to be able to do something to it you aren't going to be happy with.

If you copyright the code, you can sue.

/thread

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    joeri has a spectacular aura about joeri has a spectacular aura about

However, there is a difference between having the code in readable format and having it in minified format. Readable code gets ripped off, because it's just too easy. Minified code is a different matter. The sort of people that would steal code aren't competent enough (on the average) to be able to reconstruct things from minified code. I don't think any extra obfuscation step is necessary beyond yuicompressor or some similar tool.

Sencha - Community Support Team Condor's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Condor is a splendid one to behold Condor is a splendid one to behold Condor is a splendid one to behold Condor is a splendid one to behold Condor is a splendid one to behold Condor is a splendid one to behold Condor is a splendid one to behold Condor is a splendid one to behold

If you really want unreadable code then I would recommend Base62 encoding it (e.g. using packer).

Like all minifiers this isn't secure at all and it requires an extra step to decode the script, which can slow down loading.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    senders is on a distinguished road

Hello to everyone,

In my project, I need to obfuscate my scripts. While I was searching I found some useful tools except YUI Compressor that does this but I just want to learn how can I also hide my script code from Firebug? Are there anyone who knows a way to do this?
    You can try VarHammer tool.