Hybrid View

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    elishnevsky is on a distinguished road

Question Sencha Touch - free or not?

Sencha Touch - free or not?

If Sencha Touch is completely free, then why version 1.0.2 is available only to Sencha Support subscribers? I'm scratching my head over this one. Does anyone have an explanation?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

The general release is completely free. They gotta make money some how so they give great support to people who buy a subscription.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    The general release is completely free. They gotta make money some how so they give great support to people who buy a subscription.
    I am not questioning the quality of their support. It doesn't answer my question. If Sencha Touch is free, then why is version 1.0.2, which is supposedly more stable than 1.0.1a, available only to support subscribers? I shouldn't be forced to buy support subscription to be able to get a more stable version of the framework, which is distributed for free.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

If you had customers that paid and customers that didn't, which would you give the latest too? I have been using Ext stuff for a while now and this is just how they do it. Developers are expensive to pay.

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

You're missing the point. Purchasing support subscription is not the same as purchasing the product. The product is free, support is not. So I don't understand how support subscribers get the privilege to use a more stable version of a free product. And if I had declared my product as absolutely free for everyone, I would give the latest version to everyone.

Vote Rating

Providing support is also fixing bugs, one can argue.

Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

I think they really need to define a third license. I think they have one product with three licenses: GPL, Commercial and Paid. I'm sure I can't redistribute 1.0.2 to other members, so that's not quite the same license. Or can you? If so, could someone kindly send me 1.0.2?

The big problem I have is that this is really starting to bother me from the standpoint of bug reporting. I've been reporting a lot of bugs. A lot of other bugs have been reported. They've never been commented on. Are they fixed on 1.0.2? Who knows! Should I bother entering this bug I just found in 1.0.1a because it might already be fixed? Who knows! It's just rather frustrating. If I could get some information that I requested in the other thread, I might start trying to get my boss to fork over for the standard support. However, as far as I can tell there's no premium forum and you pay $300 to ask 4 questions that will be handled in under 3 days each.