I am pretty sure any pattern will work as well, although I do normally use generic routing for everything but the root route.

Any additional parameters are shoved into 'rest' as a string, so I used
Code:
jQuery.deparam.fragment(params.rest)
to parse the additional parameters. You could use something simpler [maybe parseuri.js] without pulling in jQuery, but I have jQuery around to fix DOM issues 'concisely' and for some useful widgets, so I just used a method available.

I ultimately ended up not caring about more complex URLs on the client side, so I definitely have not verified the extra parameters work with history. The code doesn't get in the way of history for me, but I could certainly imagine some other quirk in the code base that did when extra parameters were introduced... although that would be

If you care, I now just send the extra parameters to the server on first application hit (potentially even the deep link hit) and they stay active for the entire session. Not as nice as just turning a flag on/off, better sub-page control, or a deep-linked sort adjustment, but I don't need the extra right now.