Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

Default Sencha touch or Ext4?

Sencha touch or Ext4?

Hi,

i have to make a decision on how to continue with a web app written in Ext3, and i hope to get some advices here.

The App is working well at the moment, but iPad and phones are more and more important for the future.
    The App right now works on iPad, but for sure doesn't support gesture navigation etc.

So i need to convert it this year. it should work on normal web browsers, phones and iPad, including gestures.

What do i need for this, does Ext4 support the touch features, or do i need a mix of touch and Ext4?
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5

Sencha - Community Support Team Condor's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of Condor has much to be proud of

I would recommend using a mix.

If you rewrite your app to use the new Ext4/Touch MVC pattern then your application can share the same models and controllers and only need different views for desktop vs. mobile.

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

ok, that sounds good. I only fear for converting the custom view components as i need to double them ...
    All bit theoretical for now don't know the architecture of EXT4 / touch for now.
    vg Steffen

Sencha - Support Team scottmartin's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future

I am not sure if this will help your decision, but I see Android 3 is a fork that will now be geared toward tablet PC's and not a phone OS trying to run a tablet.

Regards,
    Scott.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Many things are the same.. for example the form. The syntax is pretty similar and you could add the different bits in to allow to work with both. In ExtJS you can specify the fieldLabel whereas in Sencha Touch it's just label so why not specify both? I did this for a test and it worked out well. So you won't always have to double your extensions but just think what is common and what isn't.

Thought about seeing if an adapter would work but never got that far as the previous way worked for me.

If you don't like that approach, abstract out the stuff that is the same then build on top of that but I'm sure that's trivial for you.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating

We will see how good seperation between components and views work at the end. Anyway i love to rewrite the application as this allows to make it more generic, starting from scratch with better structure, now with better knowledge and experience. I don't expect to reinvent the wheel, i just try to find out what i will need for this project.
    vg Steffen