You found a bug! We've classified it as a bug in our system. We encourage you to continue the discussion and to find an acceptable workaround while we work on a permanent fix.
    Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    topherfangio is on a distinguished road

Default [CLOSED]Getting Started Guide?

[CLOSED]Getting Started Guide?

This may not be quite the right forum to post this question, but since it's the only one pertaining directly to Ext JS 4, I thought it would be best.

I can't seem to find a "Getting Started Guide" for the 4.0 release. I'm sure this is due to the "Developer Preview", but I've never worked with Ext JS before, so any help would be appreciated.

Anybody have a "quickstart" guide for 4.0? I've heard that there is new a build process in place, and I want to make sure I start using it from the beginning.

Vote Rating
    tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all

ext-4.0-pr1/overview/index.html

the first alpha is probably not the best choice if you are completely new to ext js -> you can't determine what is a bug or your mistake

best regards
    tobiu
    Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig

S-CIRCLES Social Network Engine

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    topherfangio is on a distinguished road

Talking Github Project

Github Project

Thanks for the information!

Yeah, I know starting with a developer preview is probably not a great tactic, but I'm generally a fairly competent programmer, and I'm eager to get started.

Anyway, I found out that the build tools aren't really in place yet, so you just need to copy a few files over to the proper directories and you're good to go.

I created a Github project to act as a starting point for anyone who just wants to play with Ext JS 4.0. I'll try to keep this updated as newer versions of the developer preview and or beta are released. I would love your thoughts/comments, so just post a message here or add an issue on Github and I'll look at it right away!

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    sg707 is on a distinguished road

Default Guide? What guide?

Guide? What guide?

If I were you, I get ExtJS in Action book and play w/ Ext 3 first. You can still apply all your knowledge in Ext 4.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    drian is on a distinguished road

I'm looking forward to the promissed prebuild starter-template for creating an extjs 4 application using their new MVC architecture.

Vote Rating
    tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all tobiu is a name known to all

Best regards
    Tobias Uhlig

S-CIRCLES Social Network Engine

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    drian is on a distinguished road

thanks, but that's not exactly what i had in mind . A simple fully-working example using the MVC architecture would be the perfect starter template. Something similar with the ext 3 desktop example.

The starter template should reflect:
    - application start
    - MVC pattern - actually having built a controller/model/view
    - going from a page to another (from an action to another on a certain event)
    - properly cleaning/destroying the components before switching/going to another action

They said they're gonna ship a complete application architecture that can be used out of the box and this will help a lot of people who want to start an extjs4 application "the proper way".

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    sg707 is on a distinguished road

That's what I'm waiting for as well! At least I can start learning other packages while I wait.