Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    alexmace is on a distinguished road

Default [CLOSED]Data package broken

[CLOSED]Data package broken

Looks to me like the entire data package is broken. As others have noticed, nothing works like advertised in the documentation: Model.load and Model.save are both failing with errors, you can't iterate over related items in models, no matter how you load your data (through model or store proxies)... I'm even afraid to think of what else is broken.

Maybe you should make a list of the thing we CAN test in this developer preview?

Plus, the new theme(s) everybody was so excited about is missing.

Sencha, what happened there?... The developer preview is really UNUSABLE!

What's the purpose of releasing it? Looks like nothing more than a bone thrown to a community growing anxious.

Now we know for sure there's no hope in hell of having a working beta on February 28th, not to mention a full release. Well, I guess nobody really expected a full release in the end of the month, but an official statement about this would be nice, not to mention POLITE. After all, you're trying to sell the damn thing, aren't you?

Plus, nobody from the development team is answering, which is not exactly a surprise, we've started to get used to it.

Now, I've been to the conference and listened to the whole marketing hipe about the completely revamped architecture, completely new fabulous data package and the best documentation ever. What's the use of having the best, most complete documentation ever if the product DOESN'T WORK AS DOCUMENTED?

Maybe this whole "major release" was too bold of a goal for such a short(?) dev time?

Sorry about flaring up like this, but my company bought a few licenses on the premise of a February-March release date, we're waiting for it for a couple of new projects and now things are looking like we have to wait more. And the thing that pisses me off the most is that nobody cares to answer these questions!...

And before coming up with the line "it's ready when it's ready" - which is fine for open-source completely-free projects like jquery, think again that you're trying to sell the product. You're trying to boost your sales based on the promise on Ext4. Which will be a great product, I have no doubt about it, and 2 and 3 were great products too, but you guys need to learn to COMMUNICATE with your community/users/customers. You're selling a product and you shouldn't behave like a bunch of smart and bonny college kids working in their garage...

Vote Rating
    evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute evant has a reputation beyond repute

Could you please post some sample code that demonstrates the issue? From your description it's difficult to figure out what you're referring to.

The data package has been in use for some time in Sencha Touch, so if you could be more specific that would be helpful.
    Evan Trimboli
    Sencha Developer
    Twitter - @evantrimboli
    Don't be afraid of the source code!

Sencha - Community Support Team edspencer's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by alexmace View Post
    Looks to me like the entire data package is broken.
    The entire data package is broken? Are you quite sure about that? I wrote the data package for 4.x and when I run it's unit tests I don't get a single fail. Nor in any of the examples in the PR1 release. Nor in the thousands of Sencha Touch applications which are using the exact same data package in production.

I've seen this extraordinary post copied and pasted in a couple of places and am having trouble comprehending how anyone could have written it with a straight face. Given how much of it is clearly detached from reality (no developer feedback on the blog - are you serious? I count at least 4 replies there at the moment) I'm wary of spending too much time justifying what everybody else recognizes as a very solid preview of Ext JS 4. If I mis-calibrated your expectations of what a developer preview is meant to be then I'm sorry for that - to be clear this is not something you should be thinking of using in production.
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer

Vote Rating
    DrZog is on a distinguished road

hmmm...1 post, registered in Feb...there's a nice troll, play nicely

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

seems he registered just to post this one, maybe it's a well known user and he want to shout out anonymous?

Anyway i won't take care much with such unfriendly words by OP. Communication works great, and i understand that the last time was hot pressure on dev team to fulfill the timeline.
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5

Vote Rating
    jamesgpearce is on a distinguished road

Default Working it through

Working it through

Hi Alex,

Am more than happy to help you through the data package - I've used it a lot in Sencha Touch, and, while there are some tricks to make it work optimally, the functionality is certainly as advertised and certainly not broken.

If you want to post code, or send me something privately, I can take a look and see what the issue might be.

Sorry to hear your disappointment, but am fairly confident there's a simple, solvable, explanation for your issue - and we're only here to help.

James
    @jamespearce

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    gelleneu is on a distinguished road

These words a really unfriendly, and I think it's a troll.

Btw. one little issue: "items: [{xtype: 'grid' ....}]" doesn't work for me, but "items: [new Ext.grid.GridPanel({ ... })]" is fine..

In one aspect, Alex is a little bit right: you needn't to tell us what we can do with the Developer Preview, but something about, what we already can't do, until the beta/final release.

I saw this:

1. neptune theme
    2. grid-based tree
    3. what happens with sencha command? Shouldn't there a standard mvc-architecture?
    4 ... what's missing / already in progress too?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Pandaxia is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb It's probably just the example...

It's probably just the example...

In the API documentation for the Ext.data.Model, the overview at the top has this:

Code:
    User.load(123, {
        success: function(user) {
            console.log(user.getId()); //logs 123
        }
    });
    However, the callbacks are passed 2 arguments: record and operation (as shown later on in the Ext.data.Model.load function documentation):

Code:
        MyApp.User.load(10, {
            scope: this,
            failure: function(record, operation) {
                //do something if the load failed
            },
            success: function(record, operation) {
                //do something if the load succeeded
            },
            callback: function(record, operation) {
                //do something whether the load succeeded or failed
            }
    I think another part of it has to do with the structure of the response being a nested array.

For example, http://www.sencha.com/blog/ext-js-4-anatomy-of-a-model/ shows load returning
    Code:
    {
        "id": 123,
        "name": "Aaron Conran",
        "email": "aaron@sencha.com"
    }
    while http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/DataDemo/data/users.json
    returns
    Code:
    {
        "users": [
            {
                "id": 1,
                "name": 'Ed Spencer',
                "age": 25
            },
            {
                "id": 2,
                "name": 'Tommy Maintz',
                "age": 24
            },
            {
                "id": 3,
                "name": 'Aaron Conran',
                "age": 26
            },
            {
                "id": 4,
                "name": 'Jamie Avins',
                "age": 65
            }
        ]
    }
    and src/data/Model.js:310 uses
    Code:
    record = operation.getRecords()[0];
    (returning only the first record as the first parameter.

Taking both of those together means that the first callback argument is undefined and the coder doesn't know to look for a second argument, so it becomes easy to assume "it don't work".

I presume the cross-formatting in examples & documentation is because of autoLoad:true , but haven't had time to look any further.

Hope that helps!

Vote Rating
    gevik will become famous soon enough

Cool

Just to remind people that this is a "Developer Preview" not beta, or RC. The goal is to play with it, break it and send feedback to developers. Taking a shot at them won't help.

my 2 cents....

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    sg707 is on a distinguished road

Default ExtJS 4 Not Production Ready.... dope!

ExtJS 4 Not Production Ready.... dope!

By all means, I don't agree w/ most of his opinion but I've had my hopes that ExtJS 4 will be ready to be used by late Feb/mid March.... At the rate of the bugs I've seen, that seems to be less likely that I can transition to ExtJS 4 soon enough My guess is maybe around May/June... hopefully I'm proven wrong