Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light

Default [CLOSED]Override doesn't work with singletons

[CLOSED]Override doesn't work with singletons

I'm not 100% sure if this is a bug or intended behavior, but I found it really annoying so I'm posting it.

If you define a class as a singleton, then the override method on the class is not present. For example, this fails with an error

Code:
    Ext.define('Ext.ux.TestClass', { singleton: true }); Ext.ux.TestClass.override({ testMethod: function() { alert('hi'); } });
    Also, Ext.override will just silently fail.

Code:
      Ext.override(Ext.ux.TestClass, {
       testMethod: function() {
        alert('hi');
       } 
      });
    Now I realize this will work after the class is defined.

Code:
      Ext.ux.TestClass.testMethod = function() {
       alert('hi');
      };
    However, it would be nice to have a unified model for overriding and I can see this tripping a lot of people up, especially if they try to override internal ext classes to work around problems. I ran into it trying to alter TableChunker to let me select text in a grid.

Is this a bug or intended behavior?

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough Animal is a jewel in the rough

Override sets properties in a class's prototype

A singleton is just an object with properties.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the info - I'll assume this is expected behavior, then.

I understand how it's working now - setting the object property rather than touching the prototype was what my last snippet did. However, it seemed to me with the new Ext.define syntax you tried to present a unified way to create the definition for classes, both instantiable and ones intended to be singletons. Creating one intended to be singleton just requires a different config attribute. Given this, it seemed counterintuitive to me that the override mechanism wasn't smart enough to figure out what I meant when I tried to override a method on a singleton - it seemed there was a disconnect between define and override.

This tripped me up because just looking at TableChunker it looked like a regular class. Not a huge deal either way; we'll just have to condition ourselves to look for the singleton config option.

Vote Rating
    VDP will become famous soon enough

It would be nice if I could override properties on a singleton too.

Then I can use the default sencha way of requiring an override. Now I do an empty override (doing nothing but not tripping any warnings). And just merge the properties..

In a file: TestClass

Code:
    Ext.define('TestClass', {    singleton: true});
    In a file: overrides/TestClass
    Code:
    Ext.define('Ext.overrides.TestClass', {
        override: 'TestClass'
    });
    Ext.merge(TestClass, {
        propA: 'valA',
        probB: function(){ console.log('Bam!'); }
    });