Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    JimR is on a distinguished road

Default Plans for Designer support for EXT JS 4.0?

Plans for Designer support for EXT JS 4.0?

Just wondering what the plan is. Thinking about giving 4.0 pr2 a try now and did most UI work in Designer previously. Implications?

Vote Rating
    lorezyra will become famous soon enough lorezyra will become famous soon enough

Default XDS and EXTjs 4

XDS and EXTjs 4

I, too, am very keen to see how the integration of XDS and EXT 4 will work. With all the new features and gadgets available in the refactoring, I would imagine that XDS would also get a major face lift.

e.g.) Ext.Draw and vertical toolbars!
    Perfection as a goal is a nice idea that can point one in a specific direction. However, since "perfection" is an ever changing (evolving?) and moving target, one must admit that perfection can never be obtained...

When in doubt, check the d4mn source code!
    ================================================
    And here are my terms...
    1. I don't care if you use my source code. (Known as "Code.")
    2. I don't care if I get any monetary compensation.
    3. I do care to receive credit for Code provided. So, please keep my name in the comments for Code provided.
    4. Code is provided without warranty "AS-IS" and I claim absolutely no warranty nor liability to the quality, security, and run-ability on any platform.
    5. By using Code, you accept all risk inherit with Code regardless if Code has known and yet to be discovered bugs.
    6. You are welcome to change and improve the Code to best meet your needs.
    7. I don't care if you use the Code in a commercial or open-source project.
    8. You are not required to contact me prior to using the Code.
    ================================================
    Simple. Enjoy.

Sencha - Desktop Packager Dev Team jarrednicholls's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough

Ext JS 4 support will be in Designer 1.2, slated for mid-to-late April release. Ext JS 4 will offer a compatibility file so Ext JS 3 apps will run on Ext JS 4 runtime.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light

Could I please get some clarification on how the Designer will function with Ext 3 and 4? When you say 'supports', does that mean that you have the option of using 3 and also the option of using 4 (with possibly different controls, code generation, etc) or are you saying that Designer 1.2 will ONLY support 4 - only 4 widgets, only 4 code generation, etc.

If that's the case, then it seems regrettable because it tries to force an upgrade to 4. Not everyone using 3 right now will be able / willing to upgrade right away, compatability layer or not.

Also, are there any plans for a release before 1.2?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mjohnsonaz74 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar post recently. This thread may help clarify some of the questions asked here:

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...h-to-version-4

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light firefoxSafari is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the information, but I would still like to know if the Designer will support 3 AND 4 in the future. All I've seen so far is that Designer 1.2 will support 4.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mjohnsonaz74 is on a distinguished road

Designer will support 3 and 4. However, there's a new version of Designer that will be released in a few months that will have many more features, but will be considered a major upgrade and will require a new purchase. I don't know if the new Designer will work with 3, but I do know that I was told Designer 1.2 will support both 3 and 4.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Ah, ok. That is good to know.

I'd still like more of an official roadmap (will the 2.* designer support 3 & 4, what other features besides 4 will be in 1.2, is there another release before 1.2, etc) but it's really good to know that 3 support won't go away immediately.

Thanks for the info!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    syntax_error is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jarrednicholls View Post
    Ext JS 4 support will be in Designer 1.2, slated for mid-to-late April release. Ext JS 4 will offer a compatibility file so Ext JS 3 apps will run on Ext JS 4 runtime.
    cool...

Sencha - Desktop Packager Dev Team jarrednicholls's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough

...but I would still like to know if the Designer will support 3 AND 4 in the future. All I've seen so far is that Designer 1.2 will support 4.
    Designer 1.2 will support 3 & 4. Designer 2.0+ will not support 3 as it currently stands. This may change, but the majority of the Designer 2.0 features are strictly related to 4.0 development and the new APIs in 4.0.

I'd still like more of an official roadmap...
    We have an internal roadmap, but it's not my call to make this public. If the product dept. wants to release a roadmap it is their prerogative, but only theirs. Information will no doubt be shared as releases close in.