Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light

Default [CLOSED]Ext IDs

[CLOSED]Ext IDs

Is it possible to make Ext IDs more consistent?

Here's an example:

Code:
    // Current
    <div id="ext-gen1013" class="x-window-body x-layout-fit" ...
    <div id="component-1033" ...

// Proposed change
    <div id="x-gen-1013" class="x-window-body x-layout-fit" ...
    <div id="x-component-1033" ...

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    MeDavid is on a distinguished road

or possibly disable?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't disable it, not that I use them for anything but debugging.

So my question to the OP is, does it really matter?
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

only important is that they are unique. By DOM explore you know if they are components or where they do belong, nothing more. I see no advantage to have "x-.." instead.
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team Animal's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about Animal has a spectacular aura about

Consistent with what?

Component encapsulating elements are given the ID of that Component. That is very useful for debugging,

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light LesJ is a glorious beacon of light

I see that the IDs are now more informative compared to Rel 3, and I like it.

>>> Consistent with what?

The format is not consistent. See the example that I pasted. In one place the ID is prefixed with "ext" and in another place, there's no prefix. The prefix "ext-gen" could be replaced by simply "x-". You can skip the "gen" part. It obvious that this is an Ext-generated ID.

I'd like to have the "x-" prefix (as in class names) for widget IDs. This is a quick visual clue that the ID was generated by Ext. I like class name format better.

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Another example.

See ext-4.0-pr3/examples/form/anchoring.js

The ID format in this example of these IDs is not consistent:

"ext-gen1032"
    "textfield-1017"
    "x-form-item-body-ext-gen1038"

These are all Ext generated IDs.

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask a question again? Does this matter at all?

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    Does this matter at all?
    The only requirement is that the ID is unique - we could have a random number in place of the ID and this would work.

BUT, a consistent well thought out ID format can at a glance provide more useful information.

Take a look at the Ext class names. They have a consistent format and are informative.

Vote Rating

Ok... when do you use the IDs of the DOM elements?