Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Vote Rating
    Snape is on a distinguished road

Default [CLOSED] Filter is not applied in Component Config when switching components

[CLOSED] Filter is not applied in Component Config when switching components

When I select a new component in the Component window, the filter in the "Component Config" is no longer working and I have to press Enter key every time to reapply it.

Suppose you want to change styles for several components. You type the value "sty" in the filter and it shows you the "styles" property. You change it and select another component. While your filter still says "sty", you now see absolutely all properties in the "Component Config". So the filter is still set in the filter box but it is not applied to properties. You should see only properties that correspond to your filter. Otherwise it is extra work to reapply the filter.

A short video describing what I mean: http://screencast.com/t/igzS22KR3T

Sencha - Desktop Packager Dev Team jarrednicholls's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough

This was by design and a part of a much earlier release (I think the 1.0.2 line), and was a compromise between 1) clearing the filter on component selection automatically and prepping it for the next task, and 2) keeping the filter and applying it to the new selected component. So the compromise is to keep the filter text, highlight it so you can immediately start typing a new filter if desired, or simply hit enter to reapply the same filter.

If you have a good suggestion/request in regards to making this interface more satisfying for all cases in a better way than it is now, I encourage you to post on the Feature Requests forum. For example, we can apply the filter but keep the text highlighted ready for a new filter. The then downside is that you have to "do a lot of work" (if you want to call it that) to clear the filter, by either backspacing and hitting enter or clicking the X.

So in essence, the happy medium was chosen.
    Last edited by jarrednicholls; 22 Mar 2011 at 8:22 AM. Reason: additional

Vote Rating
    jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough jarrednicholls will become famous soon enough

P.S. We are making it a point to do multi-selection & multi-component editing in a future release, so automatically applying a filter to do repetitive configurations will be moot and no longer needed.

Vote Rating

It is really "a lot of work" because I have to do this most of the time for all past days after I bought ExtDesigner (hours per day).

Normally, users should not be forced to do more than they have to do.

May be you could add a switch somewhere to change the behavior. Otherwise it looks strange: the filter exists but not active and you never know if it is active (highlighting? what highlighting? never noticed it). You have to examine properties to understand if it is active. This causes attention drift, which is not good with RAD tools, where user's attention should be focused on the task and not on the tool.

Since there is a long list of properties most of the time, keeping user's choice is essential. Now the Designer simply removes user's choice without user's wish or permission. Not good.

Vote Rating

Lightbulb

Opened a new thread in "feature requests".

Vote Rating

Ok cool, thanks for opening the feature request.

Believe me, it's not that I disagree with your points. We've (other community members and myself) have had this discussion in the past. People liked it both ways; they liked that the filter was "clear and ready to go" upon next selection, and also liked the idea of continuing the filter (the application use to completely clear the filter box when you selected another component, FYI). The current implementation came as a happy medium where it's "the same amount of work" to do either one. It was a compromise so all use cases were sufficiently satisfied. But, it is more work if you want to continue the filter across many components, not just the very next selection.

So, it's not that I entirely agree with this approach, but the feedback I received the first time around is that people like it both ways. This behavior can easily change. As I stated earlier, we will be supporting multi-select for editing configurations across multiple components in the near future. With this feature in place, continuing the filter across selections becomes much less important for your use case - wouldn't you agree?
    Last edited by jarrednicholls; 23 Mar 2011 at 5:07 AM. Reason: re-word