Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    wsi is on a distinguished road

Default Ext.create vs the keyword new

Ext.create vs the keyword new

We are currently revamping our coding standard to conform with the changes of EXTJS 4.0 and have come to point of confusion. I hope someone can clarify which is the better approach.

Extjs 4.0 introduced Ext.Create which instantiates classes but in various parts of the API documents it makes references to using new. Take for example;

Code:
    Ext.define('Person', {
         name: 'Unknown',

constructor: function(name) {
             if (name) {
                 this.name = name;
             }

return this;
         },

eat: function(foodType) {
             alert("I'm eating: " + foodType);

return this;
         }
    });

var aaron = new Person("Aaron");
    aaron.eat("Sandwich"); // alert("I'm eating: Sandwich");
    I would have expected the last few lines to be
    Code:
    var aaron = Ext.create('Person', {
        name: "Aaron"
    });

Why does the example not make use of Ext.create?

Overall my question is, should Ext.create be used to instantiate a class or should the keyword new be used?

Vote Rating
    ykey has a spectacular aura about ykey has a spectacular aura about

Ext.create is an alias for Ext.ClassManager#instantiate. The docs say that if Ext.Loader is enabled and the class has not been defined yet, it will attempt to load the class for you via synchronous loading. It is my understanding that the dynamic loading will not happen if you just use the new keyword.

Vote Rating
    westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough westy is a jewel in the rough

Lots of examples don't even use Ext.define either, and none of them to my knowledge use the new application architecture, so not sure looking in the examples is wise for 'best practice'

I've been trying to use Ext.create myself (although just realised some of the code I posted a minute ago doesn't) for the simple reason that if the dynamic loading works well then it should be worth using, and wouldn't want to have to rework all the code that uses the new keyword to instantiate classes.

Can't believe it's that much of a performance hit either really.

Just my tuppence.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    stefan.lotties is on a distinguished road

So, is there a final decision here, or at least an official advice? Like "Use Ext.create when you need dynamic loading and new when you don't need it"?

Vote Rating
    stevil will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Can't believe it's that much of a performance hit either really.

Just my tuppence.
    Yeah, I'm thinking that Sencha is really soft-selling the dynamic class loading as a developer convenience. My app is very metadata-driven for its UI, to the point that, when a function is requested, we make Ajax calls to get the panel definition for the content, another for its tools (because that call is shared by all functions), and then another for the data. Gives us really fine grained control over how the content renders based on user permissions and the like.

I'm thinking of overhauling that whole structure to use the new Class loader - would simplify my code greatly!

stevil

Sencha - Sencha Touch Dev Team Jacky Nguyen's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Jacky Nguyen has a spectacular aura about Jacky Nguyen has a spectacular aura about

Ext.create provides a higher level control for instantiation throughout. It's best practice from Ext JS 4 onwards to use it over the 'new' keyword, since it's tightly coupled with Ext.Loader which makes dependency resolution much easier. During development the target class will be automatically loaded synchronously the first time it's used, which frees you from having to remember "Ext.require-ing" it before-hand.

Besides, just like Ext.require, Ext.create accepts either a class name or an alias, which makes it extremely convenient to instantiate almost everything in Ext JS 4 library by its xtype / type without having to figure out its full class name up front, for example:

Code:
    Ext.create('widget.combobox'); // instead of Ext.create('Ext.form.field.ComboBox')
    Ext.create('proxy.jsonp'); // instead of Ext.create('Ext.data.proxy.JsonP')
    Debugging is much more easier. If you try to instantiate a nonexistent class with the 'new' keyword, it's painful to figure out quickly what's going on with "TypeError: undefined is not a function", for example, try:

Code:
    new Ext.data.proxy.JsonD
    Instead:

Code:
    Ext.create('Ext.data.proxy.JsonD')
    gives you:

Code:
    [Ext.create] Cannot create an instance of unrecognized class name / alias: Ext.data.proxy.JsonD
    We've heavily optimized it internally for the best performance possible, and extreme benchmarks prove no considerable hit on performance over thousands of objects.

Another robust feature with Ext.create that can't be simply achieve with the 'new' keyword is it enables instantiation with variable arguments. For example:

Code:
    Ext.create.apply(null, ['My.ClassName', arg1, arg2, arg3, ...]);
    Which is not possible with:

Code:
    new My.ClassName({list of arguments must be known here});
    I hope that's enough reasons for everyone to ditch the old "new"
    Sencha Touch Lead Architect

Vote Rating
    yyjia is on a distinguished road

I think they have reason to use new operator sometimes when the object they defined is just a Simple Plain JS Object. I will use new operator if I just define some simple JS objects. It is not economical to let Ext.create function run though whole preprocessor and post porocessor when the object defined is just a simple object.

Yiyu Jia

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team dongryphon's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all

Also debugging into operator new is a bit simpler than stepping through Ext.create.

Even so, if there is any chance the class has not be loaded, Ext.create can fix things "just in time" and save you the debugging session or failed demo. Not that I've ever had that happen...

Vote Rating
    stevil will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon View Post
    Also debugging into operator new is a bit simpler than stepping through Ext.create.
    Agreed. The last version of my application used Ajax calls to dynamically load panel config/instantiation code. I'm quickly migrating it to use define classes the new Loader way, and then just Create them. VERY slick, and I don't have to put debugger statements in to get at my dynamic code!

stevil

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

What's about the Ext.widget() or Ext.createWidget(), are these shortcuts just to shorten code, or do they have any (dis)advantage? I don't see them in examples.
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5