Vote Rating
    ethraza is on a distinguished road

Question Air VS Titanium

Air VS Titanium

I'm reading about both for days now but I'm unable to get to a conclusion. Air or Titanium?

What I'm looking for right now is a viable solution to deploy my App for desktop and for mobile in a future not so far away. My first project will be a specific site browser that will enhance the site with desktop goodies.
    I don't think that I'll need more than Ext Core for the app side, because the specific site that this app will access is already made with ExtJs and my app will just add some functions, like look in a specific directory for new files and upload this files automatically to the site.

The other problem is the encryption thing. Both solutions don't give a dam to protect my source files, but AIR at least have the Encrypted Local Store where I can store sensitive data. If Titanium have something like that I was unable to find in the Docs.

Air have the Ext.air and titanium?

I'm still reading and thinking about, and I still believe Adobe is kind of lazy. But I wold like to decide this week!

Can someone share some thoughts to help me decide?

Thx
    LAMPE (Linux / Apache / MySQL / PHP / ExtJs)

Vote Rating

Default Going to AIR

Going to AIR

As I can see no one really know that much about Titanium... anyway, after 2 days trying to make it work, I giveup. Moving "back" to Adobe AIR!

Searching on the Internet I saw something about a new Sencha project codenamed ION, that wold be a AIR alternative... Do somebody know if that project really exist?

Vote Rating
    makana has a spectacular aura about makana has a spectacular aura about

Since ExtJS 4 preview is available, I tried to use Titanium Desktop, because ExtJS4 makes really good use of XTemplates, that cannot be created in Adobe AIR, if the document is already loaded. Also the draw components do not work in AIR. SVG isn't supported by Adobe AIR. I think that's very strange since Adobe took part in the development of SVG. And Canvas support in ExtJS 4 has several bugs so it doesn't work as an alternative to SVG. I solved the XTemplate problem by creating them in a non-application sandbox, where the execution of "eval" is allowed. But I didn't get the draw components work, and don't want to waste time solving this, since I'm not very familiar with the draw components.

To compare Adobe AIR and Titanium Desktop with some things I recognized:
    Advantages of Adobe AIR:
    - better possibilities to handle SQLite databases (encryption, asynchronous, transactions, reading structure via schema-classes...)
    - EncryptedLocalStore
    - several window types (normal, utility and lightweight)
    - access to all screenes
    - access to many hardware devices
    Disadvantages of Adobe AIR:
    - no SVG support
    - sandbox system can be prejudicial using ExtJS, especially version 4
    - no icons in native menus
    - only one system tray icon per app
    - AIR must be available at the users computer to run the applications
    - memory usage

Advantages of Titanium Desktop:
    - Titanium.Codec package to create zip files and hash strings
    - a system tray icon can applied to every window
    - receiving an executable when building the app
    - SVG support
    - no problems using ExtJS 4 as it is
    - native notifications
    Disadvantages of Titanium Desktop:
    - you have to register at appcelerator.com if you want to start developing using the Titanium Developer
    - basic Titanium.Database class to access SQLite databases
    - windows don't fire a focused/unfocused event it they are activated/deactivated using system chrome or taskbar
    - insufficent docs

and more...

I think Titanium has it's focus on the Titanium Mobile framework not on Desktop. But it works better with ExtJS. Your choice depends on your preferences and requirements. Your project sounds more like Titanium is the better one...
    But I really hate if I HAVE TO register at sites to start working with the software.
    You have to decide.

makana
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better іdiot-proof programs, and the universe striving to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning. (Rick Cook)

Enhanced ExtJS adapter for Adobe AIR

Vote Rating

Yeah, I believe too that Titanium wold be better than AIR, if I was able to get it to work.
    I cold do just simple things with Titanium, the most part of the desktop API didn't work for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but with the lack of documentation and support for the desktop API, I can't be sure. If at least the desktop kitchen sink worked, but even that doesn't worked (even with the patch).

If you got the desktop kitchen sink working, please, share it with me. Maybe it give me some hope!

Sensha: If you guys really have a ION stuff, please, please, please... I wanna be part of the beta test!

Vote Rating

Thumbs up I just found it!!!

I just found it!!!

I come back here to share that impresive... hum... framework... for Titanium, I just found!

I was planning to use Ext-core, but reading the forums was my understand that things like Ajax wold not work because Titanium wants you to use it's Titanium.Network.HTTPClient class instead of XMLHttpRequest.

I did not tested it yet, but I believe that I just found our savior:

http://www.extanium.org/

No more incomplete manuals search and try and error stuff... Let's go to the real development now!

UPDATE:
    Ok, do not works with Titanium Desktop. I tryed hard, did some modifications but now it's given me error on Ext.extend.

The main modifications I'm gonna put here in case someone wants, because it's something that is missing from Titanium Desktop SDK. That is a shame the guys on Appcelerator give so much attention to the Mobile SDK and let the Desktop one fall behind.

PHP Code:
    // Shorten namespace
    Ti Titanium;

// Compatibility
    Ti.include = function(sContentsType){

// Include CSS file

if (sType == "css") {
            var 
    ref document.createElement('style');

ref.setAttribute("type""text/css");

ref.textContent sContent;

// Eval JS code without eval()

} else if (sType == "src"){
            var 
    ref document.createElement('script');

ref.setAttribute("type","text/javascript");

ref.text sContent;

// Include JS file

} else {
            var 
    ref document.createElement('script');

ref.setAttribute("type","text/javascript");

ref.setAttribute("src"sContent);
        }

if (
    typeof ref != "undefined")

document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(ref);
    }

Ti.Platform.displayCaps = {

platformWidth Ti.UI.currentWindow.getMaxWidth(),

platformHeight Ti.UI.currentWindow.getMaxHeight()

UPDATE 2:
    Well, the include above is still valid since it's missing on Desktop SDK, but the Extanium maybe is valid only on mobile development, because I tested (right this time) and saw that Ext-core ExtJs3 and ExtJs4 Ajax requests are all work very well thanks in the Desktop SDK.
    Now yeah... going back to the real coding! o.O
    Last edited by ethraza; 5 Apr 2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Revelations

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by ethraza View Post
    That is a shame the guys on Appcelerator give so much attention to the Mobile SDK and let the Desktop one fall behind.
    WORD!

That's it. You can see it in the docs for Titanium Desktop. They are really rudimentary.
    I started to connect ExtJS with Titanium Desktop, but abandoned it and focused again on the ext-air package. For me AIR is the better alternative for RIA desktop applications. You have more possibilities, better hardware access and a better SQLite database interface.

And porting ExtJS or even Sencha Touch to Titanium Mobile doesn't make sense, I think, because Titanium Mobile already has its own UI components, can handle data, events etc.
    I'm not very familiar with Touch or Titanium Mobile, but that's my impression...

Greets,
    makana
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better іdiot-proof programs, and the universe striving to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning. (Rick Cook)

Vote Rating

Smile

I need to say that at the beggining one can fell that use Titanium desktop is close to impossible because of the felling of abandom and lack of better documentation, but after a week I was able to code my own "kitchen sink" and learned almost 100% of the Titanium.
    Now I'm felling very pleased that I went this road. AIR is good, but the damn security barries, the pour performance and the lack of js print support was a no go for me.
    Right now I'm starting this project that can be described as a specific site enhancer, and the easy of hack the site within Titanium is making all very interisting.
    I'm felling confident that I'll build cool things with Titanium!

Greets,
    Allan (EthraZa)

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough Ekambos is a jewel in the rough

Interesting discussion here

Sometimes ago we hab a requirement to support AIR + Titanium + Web.

I was assigned the task to build a Java Wrapper around the Titanium API. So if you know Java and EXT-GWt you might also wanna check it out.

http://code.google.com/p/gwt4air/

cheers,

Alain

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    sallyliao is on a distinguished road

I started to connect ExtJS with Titanium Desktop, but abandoned it and focused again on the ext-air package. For me AIR is the better alternative for RIA desktop applications. You have more possibilities, better hardware access and a better SQLite database interface.

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by makana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sallyliao View Post
    We have a new Guttenberg in our forums here, ey?