Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    AlainP is on a distinguished road

Question Learning path for Ext 4?

Learning path for Ext 4?

Hi,

I am a backend dev (RoR/ .Net) who needs to move to front end dev and my team decided that we would use Ext. The question is: Where do we start? While there is a lot of online doc for Ext 2.0 and a few books for 3.0, there is next to nothing for people starting from scratch @ v4.0.

Most tutorials I have found do not work so I can only base my learning on the example provided with the download which (while good) are not the best way to learn when starting from scratch.

So the question is: what would be the best learning path for someone starting fresh (with no knowledge of previous version) with Ext 4.0?

Thx!

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

I suggest doing the first steps with Ext3, best is to get a book as "ExtJS in Action"
    Ext4 comes with a compatiblity layer which let you run all Ext3 examples with Ext4 (probably)

A good way is to follow the 4-forums to get an idea what you need to be prepared.
    In the 4-docs there are some basic tips, but they will be completed.

It's not that hard as you might think, you have to start understanding what a container is and how to fill containers with items.
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    alien3d is on a distinguished road

Default learning path

learning path

For truth is hard. When i started using 0.33 I release application using 1.0
    When release 1.xx they release 2.00 New branch Code
    When release application 3.XXX .They release branch 4 code..
    And the mostly problemm.... fast changing structure..

** I'm working new code branch 3 .No choice for current now.. Performance still okay eventhough using iframe...

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough ssamayoa is a jewel in the rough

The reality is:
    Learning ExtJS is hard because is a huge, complex and complete library.
    But worth the effort.

First steps take a lot of time, specially if you come from strong typed language like Java or C# and use JavaScript for small things, but it is an exponential curbe: When you "get it" (which happends "sudenly") it becomes very easy to figure out how to do everything.

Even if there is a lot of hipe about ExtJS 4 you should first learn 3 series with the aid of "ExtJS in action". The book is well written and, as all "in action", takes you from simpler things like "Hello world" to a complex data manipulation. The book cost about $30 in PDF so is not a big investment.

The only thing I feel that has very little support or "how to" is the server side: I think sencha should invest on writting some kind of base code in main server side languages (Java, net, php) to aid new commers to get up and running quickly.

Regards.
    UI: Sencha Architect 3.x / ExtJS 4 & 5
    Server side: JEE / EJB 3.x / CDI / JPA 2.x/ JAX-RS / JasperReports
    Application Server: Glassfish / WildFly
    Databases: Oracle / DB2 / MySQL / Firebird

If you like my answer please vote!

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

If you learn ExtJS 3 (because of the books out there) the feel of ExtJS 4 will be very familiar. There are some differences but the feel is much the same.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    AlainP is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I am already very familiar with dynamic language, being a Rubyist. While I have to do some catch up with js, this is not my main issue. Same for the server side code, Ruby on Rails (or .Net) can send and consume JSON objects very easily.

I got the EXT in action book. Started to read it, I just feel bad learning stuff that wont be valid for Ext 4...

I am very intrigued by the new MVC stuff in v4 since it relates very closely to what I am already doing with Rails/ ASP MVC. Too bad the documentation is not finished yet.

Also, any good blogs I should follow? The rails community is filled with good blogs but I have had a hard time to find more than a few for Ext and none seemed to talk about MVC. I may have to start one...

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    alien3d is on a distinguished road

Default asp.net mvc

asp.net mvc

I'm also doing migrating my php code to asp.net C# code... As the customer request latest spec of .Net world

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    RaviKaria is on a distinguished road

Default www.senchatutorial.com

www.senchatutorial.com

visit www.senchatutorial.com to learn ExtJS 4 step by step.