Thank you for reporting this bug. We will make it our priority to review this report.
    Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    robgallen is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    I'd like to lobby that an improvement from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2 is the wrong metric (and I realize that you did not say it is ). We truly need 4.0.x to be significantly faster than ExtJS 3.3.3 to make it deployable for complex RIAs.
    Sorry for banging a (very) old drum, but we really need it to be faster than 2.3 which was significantly faster than 3.3...

Vote Rating
    stevil will become famous soon enough

4.0.2 does not fix my performance problems.

Chrome is wicked fast, but my grid in a container in a border layout, under IE9, takes about 2-3 seconds from the time the grid data arrives until the grid and browser are usable. In the interim, the browser is hung. Under IE8 it's 5-7 seconds until it's usable.

The problem also occurs when I resize the browser window - it takes the same about of time I indicated above to re-layout the page.

stevil

P.S. Allow me to say that it IS an improvement over 4.0.1 - it's just not really usable in IE.

Vote Rating
    mediacept is on a distinguished road

Default 3.4 faster

3.4 faster

For those who still have doubts about the fact that 3.4 is faster than 4.0 try this and see how the theme switching in 3.4 is fast while in 4.0 is very slow:

http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-3.4...mes/index.html
    http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.0...mes/index.html
    Best Regards,

Ramzi Youssef
    MEDIACEPT Technology

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    rich02818 is on a distinguished road

You can't compare theme switching because in the 4.0.x examples it completely reloads a different web page, while the 3.x example does not. Unfortunately, however, there the performance difference in a complete load still shows 3.4 *much* faster than 4.0.2.

Quote Originally Posted by mediacept View Post
    For those who still have doubts about the fact that 3.4 is faster than 4.0 try this and see how the theme switching in 3.4 is fast while in 4.0 is very slow:

http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-3.4...mes/index.html
    http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.0...mes/index.html

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    MrSparks has a spectacular aura about MrSparks has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by rich02818 View Post
    You can't compare theme switching because in the 4.0.x examples it completely reloads a different web page, while the 3.x example does not.
    This is true. I've always done a page refresh to ensure the test is fare. Also as Animal pionted out, under 4.x you need to use ext-all.js and not the bootstrap when benchmarking between 3.3 and 4.x

Will post my new benchmark findings later today.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    MrSparks has a spectacular aura about MrSparks has a spectacular aura about

Ok so here's the current state of play (Themes benchmark wise) with 4.0.2 release build

See attached Benchmarks

Compared to 4.0.1
    IE 8 : 1.6 seconds slower
    Chrome 11 : 0.17 faster
    Firefox 3.6 : 1.4 seconds slower
    Opera 11 : 0.1 seconds slower

Compared to 3.3.1
    IE 8 : 11.8 seconds slower / (444% slower)
    Chrome 11 : 0.6 slower / (162% slower)
    Firefox 3.6 : 2.2 seconds slower / (155% slower)
    Opera 11 : 1.6 seconds slower / (202% slower)

I think the big and serious question to the Dev Team is: How confident are you that you can at least get 4.x to the equivalent speed of 3.3.1 in the very short term and moving forward do you expect 4.x will have superior performance?

A lot of us using 4.x need to make big decisions (with financial implications) on current projects. Do we stick with 4.x or take the hit and go back to 3.x. 4.x gives me everything I need, except performance, the key factor being IE is totally unusable under 4.x, Themes is bad but when you bolt in a large app, it grinds to a halt.

Hats off the Dev team, EXTJS in general and the accomplishments in 4.x to date are amazing you are all obviously very skilled at your craft. However I feel that I've broken a golden rule of IT, "don't believe the hype" I've not broken that rule for many many years but had a very good feeling that that you would prove me wrong and 4.x will live up to its billing. I'm still hopeful that you can nail this performance issue, manly because I really don't want to move back to 3.x and loose the goodies in 4.x that will help make my app a success.

Best
    MrSparks
    Attached Images

Vote Rating
    stevil will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparks View Post
    I think the big and serious question to the Dev Team is: How confident are you that you can at least get 4.x to the equivalent speed of 3.3.1 in the very short term and moving forward do you expect 4.x will have superior performance?

A lot of us using 4.x need to make big decision (with financial implications) on current project. Do we stick with 4.x or take the hit and go back to 3.x. 4.x gives me everything I need, except performance, the key factor being IE is totally unusable under 4.x, Themes is bad but when you bolt in a large app, it grinds to a halt.

Hats off the Dev team, EXTJS in general and the accomplishments in 4.x to date are amazing you are all obviously very skilled at your craft. However I feel that I've broken a golden rule of IT, "don't believe the hype" I've not broken that rule for many many years but had a very good feeling that that you would prove me wrong and 4.x will live up to its billing. I'm still hopeful that you can nail this performance issue, manly because I really don't want to move back to 3.x and loose the goodies in 4.x that will help make my app a success.
    @sparky,

Great leg work on the benchmarks, and +1 on each of your points (when will this be fixed, a lot of us are in precarious situations, no matter how frustrated we're getting, we DO appreciate all the work that's going on behind the scenes).

stevil

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    eja40 is on a distinguished road

I can only add to what has been said above. We are making significant, long-term financial decisions based on the expectation (hope) that ExtJS will be a serious competitive framework in the near future. But we need to understand that Sencha acknowledges and is serious about determining the cause (and solutions) of these problems, especially IE. You cannot dismiss IE - for example in our public sector market, IE is the 90% dominant web browser so it simply has to work.

Sencha - Community Support Team edspencer's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by eja40 View Post
    I can only add to what has been said above. We are making significant, long-term financial decisions based on the expectation (hope) that ExtJS will be a serious competitive framework in the near future. But we need to understand that Sencha acknowledges and is serious about determining the cause (and solutions) of these problems, especially IE. You cannot dismiss IE - for example in our public sector market, IE is the 90% dominant web browser so it simply has to work.
    We are extremely serious about this and are working round the clock to identify and correct the performance problems with IE8. Ext JS 4 has an amazing architecture and is an exceptional foundation for modern web apps but all that power has visibly regressed performance in some situations. We're totally confident that we'll get these resolved, and I hope we're doing a better job of communicating here and giving you feedback on what we're doing to address these issues.
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer

Ext JS Premium Member SebTardif's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    SebTardif is on a distinguished road

I'm more worried that Sencha seems surprised everytime by regressions. It seems they don't know how to create automated tests.

Use cases are easy to find...

Try selecting couple of rows in the table one after another using IE9:
    http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.0...Dashboard.html
    http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.0...Dashboard.html