Vote Rating
    harley.333 is on a distinguished road

Default MVC - Are stores meant to be reusable?

MVC - Are stores meant to be reusable?

Using the Ext4 MVC framework, are store definitions meant to be reusable?

For example, let's say I have an "AllUsers" grid and a "SearchUsers" grid. The appearance of the grids would be identical (same columns, etc). I would expect to be able to use the same Store definition (just pass different parameters to the server).

Following the examples, my Views define their separate gridpanels.
    Code:
    { xtype: "gridpanel", store: "App.grid.Users" }
    My Controllers should now be able to call the grids' store.load() method using different parameters. But the grids reference the same store instance. Loading one grid will refresh the other. This makes sense to me, and I can see the benefits of this behavior.

I would expect the following code to create a new instance of the store for each grid:
    Code:
    { xtype: "gridpanel", store: Ext.create("App.grid.Users", {storeId: Ext.id()}) }
    When using this code, I get an error stating that the reader.read method doesn't exist. So, what am I doing wrong? Is it possible to reuse store definitions using the Ext4 MVC framework?
    harley.333 - Harley Jones
    harley.333@gmail.com - Find me on Google Talk.

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

you can bind stores to a component in your view inside controller.
    See Feedviewer example where this is done.
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5

Vote Rating
    harley.333 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Steffan. I had thought about this approach (I didn't remember the bindStore method), but it didn't feel very MVC-ish. I don't think Controllers should have this much knowledge of the Views.

As I kept digging into the exceptions, I kept being pulled into the store's Proxy. It wasn't being constructed properly, etc, etc.

In the end, I moved my proxy definition out of the Store and into the Model. Now, the Models know how to bind themselves, and my stores simply point to a Model. This move simplified my Stores so much that it effectively eliminated the need to define Stores separately. Some stores might have specific sorts/filters, but sorts and filters fall under the realm of the View (in my opinion). So, stores also fall into the realm of the View.

Code:
    { xtype: "gridpanel", ..., store: { model: "App.model.myModel" } }
    This has addressed my issue because Store instances are now longer implicitly shared across controls and Views. This has also helped simplify my approach to the MVC framework.
    harley.333 - Harley Jones
    harley.333@gmail.com - Find me on Google Talk.

Vote Rating
    steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about steffenk has a spectacular aura about

imho the controller is the right place. Views should not contain app logic at all, just configuration.
    The controller is the heart, and controller knows all about Models, Stores Views etc.

I myself configure stores with a simple string and bind the correct store in controller onLaunch or in any action.
    vg Steffen
    --------------------------------------
    Release Manager of TYPO3 4.5