Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    c089 is on a distinguished road

Default DisableCaching breaks javascript debuggers

DisableCaching breaks javascript debuggers

Good morning everyone

Starting today, my javascript debuggers (chrome dev tools and firebug) stopped working. Every breakpoint I set was lost on a page reload. Looking at the files in Firebug, I noticed the "_dc" parameter which gets changed on every load to prevent caching, which sounds like a good idea while developing. However, this seems to be the reasons why the breakpoints are gone after a page reload, so I had to use Ext.loader.setConfig to deactivate the dc param. I'm really curious why I did not have this problem before and if there's a better way to do this?

Chris

Sencha - Ext JS Dev Team dongryphon's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all

Hi Chris,

This is expected if you have "?nocache" in your URL and it is a sad side-effect. A better approach is to turn off caching in Firebug (the Net tab has a dropdown menu w/Disable Browser Cache).

Are you seeing this w/o "?nocache"?
    Don Griffin
    Ext JS Development Team Lead

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

I need to test this out. From what I understand, firebug treats the JS files with arguments as different files, and that's why breakpoints disappear.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    c089 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon View Post
    This is expected if you have "?nocache" in your URL and it is a sad side-effect. A better approach is to turn off caching in Firebug (the Net tab has a dropdown menu w/Disable Browser Cache).

Are you seeing this w/o "?nocache"?
    Yup, I didn't even know about ?nocache.

Vote Rating
    dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all dongryphon is a name known to all

You are correct: different URL = different File (URL includes query parameters). I don't see the "?dc" parameter on script tags unless I add "?nocache" to the page URL. But perhaps there are other reasons for the Loader to decide to add the "?dc" parameter... I'll have to look at the code.
    Don Griffin

Check the docs. Learn how to (properly) report a framework issue and a Sencha Cmd issue

"Use the source, Luke!"

Vote Rating
    stevil will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon View Post
    You are correct: different URL = different File (URL includes query parameters). I don't see the "?dc" parameter on script tags unless I add "?nocache" to the page URL. But perhaps there are other reasons for the Loader to decide to add the "?dc" parameter... I'll have to look at the code.
    +1

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    --maty is on a distinguished road

Any tips how to disable this _dc parameter from appending to my controller's url? I can't debug it during the load because of that...
    Also, my loader is like this, so either disableCaching is not working or there is a bug somewhere:
    Code:
        <script type="text/javascript" src="files/extjs/ext-all-debug.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript">
          Ext.Loader.setConfig({
            enabled:true,
            disableCaching:true
          });
        </script>
    Quote Originally Posted by dongryphon
    A better approach is to turn off caching in Firebug (the Net tab has a dropdown menu w/Disable Browser Cache).
    This trick doesn't work for me...

Vote Rating

Have you tried disableCaching: false?

_dc = disableCache

So false should turn off this feature. Once off, the Firebug trick will be important to avoid stale responses from the Firefox cache.

Chrome, sadly, has no such feature, which means you will either have to clear the entire cache often, or set this option to true and use "debugger" statements. Sad indeed
    Don Griffin

"Use the source, Luke!"

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    sephyroth69 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I'm having exactly the same issue on both Firefox and chrome, while testing my sencha touch 2 app. One of my controller (the one i'm editing) is getting "_dc" and a number append after it's name and every time I reload the page, the number changes. so no way to keep a breakpoint in the controller. However the fix proposed by dongryphon is working !

Add this before your app code :

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript"> 
            Ext.Loader.setConfig({
                    enabled:true, 
            disableCaching:true      }); 
       </script>
    Thanks a lot for the tip !

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    cassinisolutions is on a distinguished road

While debugging with NetBeans, I've had this problem also.

FYI, Netbeans has just filled in an issue in order to be able to debug whatever this ExtJS config is
    (https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=229383)

And at last, when putting disableCaching to false, it becomes hard to debug as everything is kept in the cache of the browser

You have several plugins for that to disable cache on browser side, but there's another option, which seems better (because no need to reload the browser)

you put a livereload server that forces the browser to update the .js files whenever they get modified

(AFAIK, I use grunt and grunt-livereload for that)

Hope this helps