Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

Default forum weirdness: search and big green buttons

forum weirdness: search and big green buttons

Note: This is not a thread about performance issues with the webservers lately. I'm happy to see Sencha is working on that.

What I'm seeing is some weirdness in a couple of areas. The first one might just be a misunderstanding, but I don't think so. When you are on a forum and click the "Search Forum" dropdown, enter a search term and click return (or click the gray Search button), it doesn't seem to limit the search to the forum you are on. I'm pretty sure it used to, and I'm pretty sure this is the standard way for it to work. I'm really getting frustrated with having to go to the advanced search all the time and scrolling down to pick the forum I need. Edit: Fixed.

Related to that, the big green Search button on the advanced forum (getting there by clicking the Advanced Search link described above) is acting weird, too. When I enter some terms and click search, I'm taking to the results. Then if I hit back in my browser, change the terms and try to click Search again, the search button almost never actually works at that point. It takes a full reload of the page (ctrl-shift-R, not just ctrl-R) to make it come back to life again. This seems to affect me in FF 3.6.17 but not in Chrome. Edit: I will also note that it does the depress animation when it's in the bad state of not working. Perhaps this clue will help. Edit: Fixed.

Another FF 3.6.17 only problem is the big green "+ Post New Thread" button on forums. What's weird about it is that the clicks seem to get trapped by the label text. I find that there's a LOT of the button that when clicked on does nothing. My best bet is to find some green area away from the text and click it. Otherwise, I get nothing.

Finally, one suggestion - put a link somewhere on the advanced search page back to the forums. Right now, there's no real way to get there other than using your back button or manually changing the URL. Would just add a little convenience. Edit: Not as much of an issue since the back button works on the search page now.

Vote Rating

Huh. Well, add another weirdness. When I just clicked the "Preview Post" button, it posted it rather than previewed it. Again, I'm using FF 3.6.17.

Edit: And just checked it again to make sure I didn't imagine it. Clicking "Preview Post" submitted this post as well.
    Edit: Fixed.

Vote Rating

Really no response to this by Sencha after almost two weeks? Not even a "huh, that's weird"?

Sencha - Management Team abe.elias's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    abe.elias is on a distinguished road

Can you post a screen shot?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    cjbottaro is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jep View Post
    Huh. Well, add another weirdness. When I just clicked the "Preview Post" button, it posted it rather than previewed it. Again, I'm using FF 3.6.17.
    Confirming. I just double posted in the Sencha Touch Help & Discussion forum because the "Preview Post" button is actually posting instead of previewing. I'm using Chrome 11.0.696.71 on OS X.

On a side note, can someone delete the "Questions from a Rails dev" post (the one who's body says "sorry for the double post")?

Vote Rating

The Go Advanced button also posts instead of going to the advanced edit screen.

abe.elias - any specific thing you wanted a screenshot of? These are more behaviors, so I'm not sure what a screenshot would do. I'm going to try to get my video capture going so maybe I could post a video which would be more helpful to you.

Vote Rating

A screencast would be great.

Vote Rating

Okay, here you go! I finally got my recorder working again. I annotated and put descriptions on most of these. Hope that helped. I uploaded them at 720p so you can change the res if you want to see more detail. Some of these fail in FF 3.6.17 but not in Chrome (should be noted in the description).

--
    Clicking Preview Post actually posts instead of previewing
    --
    Clicking the big green Go Advanced actually posts instead of going to the advanced mode
    --
    Clicking the small gray Go Advanced button does nothing
    --
    When you click on the search within a forum, it does not search just that forum. It searches ALL forums

This isn't supposed to be how vBulletin works and I've never ran into a site that worked the way yours does. In fact, I'm almost positive yours didn't used to work this way, either. Here's the bit in the vBulletin manual on how that search forum link is supposed to work:
    If you are browsing a forum, you can quickly search for a thread or post within it by clicking on the 'Search this forum' link near the top of the page (it's above the list of threads). You can also search for individual posts within a thread by clicking on the 'Search this Thread' link at the top of any thread view page.

Note that even though it says "Search this forum", the link is actually "Search forum". You can also try it out and see on their own board.
    --
    Must click and hold Post New Thread button

This is a subtle one and I don't know how much good the screencast does. All I can say is that in FF, normal mouse clicks don't cut it for several of the big green buttons. You have to click and hold for about a half second and then release. This one also happens on Reply To Thread.

Vote Rating

I've notified the web team to look into this. Thanks jep for taking the time to do this. Much appreciated!

Vote Rating

Thanks! Out of curiosity, do you know what browser/device most people at Sencha use on a day-to-day basis? I'm just curious because I wonder how a lot of these (like the Preview Post button actually posting instead of previewing) are never noticed. Surely the Sencha people are on this board all the time, posting. So I figure a lot of this must do with all the board stuff being optimized for a certain browser/device and not being tested on other systems.