Vote Rating
    kite is on a distinguished road

Default [SDKTOOLS-3] buggy Sencha SDK Tools

[SDKTOOLS-3] buggy Sencha SDK Tools

Sencha SDK Tools for Linux x64 isn't for Linux x64 - jsdb is 32-bit application.
    $file jsdb
    jsdb: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped

Sencha SDK Tools includes binaries of (modified?) Qt - this isn't good. This causes segmentation fault on my Archlinux x64 and I think on many other platforms (removing directories "lib" and "imageformats", i.e. using instead system libraries, may resolve this problem). I think it's better to do in linux-way: provide sources, dependency list and build instructions instead of installer in windows-way. As example you can provide package for some distro (e.g. .deb for Ubuntu).

As for me, "sencha create jsb -a index.html -p app.jsb3 && sencha build -p app.jsb3 -d ." prints "Done building!" but generates an empty app-all.js (only with copyright notice), because paths in generated app.jsb3 contain too many "../../../../../../" - I have to fix this manualy in editor (or write my own build system).

Also Sencha SDK Tools violates license at least of jsdb. Quote from jsdb license:
    "
    2. Commercial software that includes JSDB, in source or binary form, must include this license
    file or reference the JSDB.ORG web site in the documentation accompanying the product.
    "
    Sencha SDK Tools distribution doesn't contain anything of this except of jsdb executable file.

Quote from Sencha SDK Tools license:
    "Copyright (c) 2011 Sencha Inc. All rights reserved."
    This is incorrect, because jsdb license says:
    "The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software."

P.S. Why does "Sencha SDK Tools" exist only in 3.x forums?

Sencha - Management Team amishcon's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    amishcon is on a distinguished road

Default Licensing

Licensing

Responding on the licensing issues - thanks for the feedback! We'll be sure to include the JSDB license where used. As for Qt, we are commercially licensed for this use.

~ Adam

Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by amishcon View Post
    As for Qt, we are commercially licensed for this use.
    I don't say anything about Qt license.
    But your commercial license doesn't help with segmentation fault.
    Who will purchase your products (e.g. ExtDesigner) when they crash at first run with segfault?
    Include Qt libraries in distribution is very bad idea.
    Please, take an example from other commercial products like Opera - it uses dynamic linking and don't include all *.so from Qt. And regarding version under Linux - they provides it in Linux-way: .deb/.rpm packages and .tar.gz for other distros. They don't jeer at linux users with windows-like installer.

Vote Rating
    luisbug is on a distinguished road

I can't event install the sdk tools on my macbook, crashes at installer launch.
    Installed it in another mac and copied the files... :S

Sencha - Community Support Team edspencer's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by luisbug View Post
    I can't event install the sdk tools on my macbook, crashes at installer launch.
    Installed it in another mac and copied the files... :S
    Did it install on the other mac correctly? We are aware of an issue with the currently-released installer that causes it to hang for a long time (1-2 minutes) while installing, before finally continuing and completing successfully. Perhaps that's what you were experiencing? We have already corrected this issue in source control by upgrading to the latest version of the installer product we use.
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    amimouni is on a distinguished road

Default 4000 QA tests according to the video presentation .... Really ??

4000 QA tests according to the video presentation .... Really ??

In the sencha presentation video the guy was saying that they were doing 4000 tests to make sure that the product is working ....
    I dont care about licenses or other paper stuff, all I want is a working sdk tools under linux 64...
    Is any one testing what youre providing online ? I mean, you're enclosing a jsdb 32 bits into a 64 bit build! are you gonna add an extra test to makes it 4001 and just run the sencha command line to see if it's working under 64, before dropping that online ???

Vote Rating

On the other mac it installed without a problem (same OS).
    On mine it did not hang, just crashed. I reported it here and pasted the error http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...K-Tools-on-mac. It seems it is the QT as kite referred above.

I've been looking at the code of the tools. I get the feeling that they are unnecessarily complicated. Wouldn't it be possible to build these with simpler nodejs script and less dependencies? Just sayin... i'm really not an expert at all.

Regards

Vote Rating

amimouni, I think sencha developers knew that jsdb is 32-bit application. On official site (of jsdb) there no builds for x64, and building from sources for x64 requires some patching skills. But sdk tools doesn't contain any notes that my Linux must be multilib, there are no any list of required 32-bit libraries as well as list of 64-bit dependencies.
    It seems like all 4k tests were ran only on one developer/QA machine.

luisbug, if in your case installer is crashing - it's maybe another problem.
    nodejs can't be used there, because we need full WebKit, not only V8 (in order to have possibility to pass index.html). But why they use jsdb and can't use only phantomjs - I don't know.
    Something similar is discussed there: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...ands-via-rhino

Vote Rating

But wouldn't it be possible to just parse the files and look for "create" e "require"?

It still like feels a lot of cruft. Do you know of any community project to build simpler and lighter tools?

A chrome extension that generates a build file for whatever system you wish to use would be neet.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    amimouni is on a distinguished road

Kite:On the official site there is actually a linux 64 downloadable sdk tools, but this one has the 32 jsdb in it ... check out here (http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/).
    anyway, I have started a debian 32 cloud and still fighting with more issues, this time it's asking me for a libXrender.so.1 which means that I need to install kde on my server the install is in progress now ... we'll see what happens ...
    setting up this stuff is not easy at ALL...