Sencha - Support Team scottmartin's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future

Default Any update chart print/export

Any update chart print/export

I noticed a thread back in March about printing and export charts.

Is this planned in the future? Charts need to be able to be printed without having to print the entire page.

Regards,
    Scott.

Vote Rating
    scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future scottmartin has a brilliant future

I guess charting has no plans for printing/exporting?
    Hopefully this was an missed/delayed feature and there are plans to provide this?

Using the browser print as suggested in another post is just plain silly.

Regards,
    Scott.

Vote Rating

BUMP'ty BUMP!

Regards,
    Scott.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    zombeerose will become famous soon enough zombeerose will become famous soon enough

+1

Sencha - Community Support Team edspencer's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough

I see... the strategy here is to post in as many threads as possible and hope we notice?

So let's kick this about a bit, unless I'm grossly misinformed this would require a server side to be able to work properly everywhere - would you guys expect us to write that in your various server language(s) of choice?

One other thing I did in a previous life for grid printing was to just pop up a new window and recreate the grid without the rest of the UI cruft, do you think doing something similar here would be useful as a pure client-side approach?

How important is generating PDFs vs just the ability to print?
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer

Vote Rating

I see... the strategy here is to post in as many threads as possible and hope we notice?
    220 ... 221, whatever it takes (mr. mom)

How important is generating PDFs vs just the ability to print?
    I would be happy with a client only print for now. I would also like to be able to save it as an image (jpg.png).
    The exporting would be a nice feature perhaps for the future.

Leave the server code to us ...

Regards,
    Scott.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    zombeerose will become famous soon enough zombeerose will become famous soon enough

@edspencer

Apologies for my multiple posts. I wish the original posters had searched and avoided the duplicate threads.

Side note: the advanced forum search is failing to return results for root words, such as chart printing (2 results) vs chart print (5 results) when limited to the Ext JS Community Forums 4.x.

In response to your questions, I do not expect Ext to deliver any server-side code whatsoever. I believe I fall within the majority that want to print just the chart especially when rendered within a large app with multiple visible panels. Your previous grid printing style would be sufficient. As for PDFs, users could install a print driver that writes to the PDF format, such as CutePDF. Exporting as an image would be a nice feature in the future.

Thanks for listening Ed!

Vote Rating

@edspencer

To elaborate on zombeerose comments, I posted this thread to ask if there was any news. I was aware of the other postings, but there was no reply at the time of this posting as to the progress.

This is where there is a communication breakdown in the bug reporting system where we are not sure if the posting was accepted, rejected or under review. A bug reporting system would solve this, but as you know this has been discussed to death. Hopefully something will be implemented soon.

Using a forum for bug tracking is _almost_ as bad as using emails for tracking. <vbg>

Regards,
    Scott

Sencha - Community Support Team edspencer's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough

Hah no worries, I was just playing. I hate using forums as bug tracker too, it's taking some time to effect any change there though (unfortunately I'm not sole dictator in this place).

The charting guys are aware of the desire for printing and exporting and I've asked Nicolas to drop in and comment on this thread (on options available to us as opposed to timing)
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    philogb is on a distinguished road

Hi All - Thanks for the feedback.

There are two ways (I know of) to do this. One is just setting a css for printing (different than the one for screen/handheld, whatever) that would hide all components except for the chart.

The other possible solution would be:

- Creating an iframe and hiding it.
    - Getting the generated SVG/VML from the chart as a string and adding it to the html of the iframe.
    - Getting focus from the iframe and use the print() method to print the iframe content.

This wouldn't work with Canvas - although I should investigate this further.

What do you think?