You found a bug! We've classified it as a bug in our system. We encourage you to continue the discussion and to find an acceptable workaround while we work on a permanent fix.
    Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    cheland is on a distinguished road

Default Charts not working in this version of IE8

Charts not working in this version of IE8

Demo charts throw error in ext-all.js "Object doesn't support this property or method", Line: 15, Char: 462550. IE 8.0.6001.19088 running on Vista SP 1.

Sencha - Support Team mike.estes's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mike.estes will become famous soon enough

thanks for the report, we've just introduced a new bug template that will help us migrate bugs from the forums to our bug tracker. Could you please update your ticket to follow this template so that we can address it faster?

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough

Yay! Thank you - I'm glad someone else finally had this problem.

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthre...layout-example

I reported something similar a while back. My IE8 on Vista basically choked on anything involving the new vml stuff, including charts and vertical text. IE8 on some other platforms worked. Different versions of IE seemed to work. However, IE8 on vista always bombed out for me. Sencha said they couldn't reproduce it, though, so I ended up thinking it was just something wrong with my install. Glad at least someone else ran into it so I know I'm not totally crazy

Vote Rating
    Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough

Are you running the 64 bit version or 32 bit version of IE?

Vote Rating
    Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough

From where that occurred, it looks like it wasn't able to create the surface. We'll add an additional check to ensure we have one before adding listeners. But you still may not get a chart. I'll see what we can to to get that exact combination of OS and browser. But the 32bit vs. 64bit we also need to know.

Vote Rating

One other item to look at is the "Binary and script behaviors" setting in the Internet Zone. It must be set to enable in order to render VML in the Browser. This may be the root cause of your problem with displaying the VML charts in the first place, but I have also added the surface check so you will not get a hard error in the future.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough firefoxSafari is a jewel in the rough

@Jamie

Thanks for looking at this.

I can't speak for the OP, but I have the similar problem and I'm running IE8 on Vista 32-bit.

I did check my settings as you indicated and 'Binary and script behaviors' is enabled. For what it's worth, I've seen JavaScript examples on other sites that I know use VML and these have rendered fine but the Ext-JS 4 examples do not. Strange thing is, I can remember very early in the developer preview cycle they did work for me but eventually stopped working. Don't know whether to attribute the change to the codebase, my IE8 install, or something else...

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

32 bit Vista and binary scripts behavior is enabled. Will fill out the bug template as requested.

Vote Rating

A specific bug in that version of IE, sounds like fun!

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Which begs the question - just how many versions of IE8 are there??