Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    defcon1 is on a distinguished road

Default 4.0.2a ready for production? I don´t think so ...

4.0.2a ready for production? I don´t think so ...

Hi,

after some serious problems with 4.0.2a (see my tickets in bug/help forum) I am out of power and stopped porting my app from version 3.X to 4.X. I wanted to do this because of the new charts (no flash) and being prepared for the future, but decided to replace them with HighCharts instead of upgrading to 4.X (and so I don´t have to buy a license-pack).

Has anyone migrated an app to ExtJS 4 successfully, using grids, tabs, forms and charting? Even simple things like getting selected rows from a grid/store is very frustrating to get done, no documentation, errornous API-docs (or I am too dumb to read ´em, I liked the old), examples which only scratch the surface, ...

Any opinions?

Best regards
    d1
    Checkout Apollo, an ExtJS4-based Apache Cassandra client: http://www.codefreun.de/en/apollo-en

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a lot of posts about people not having success with Ext JS 4 but I must say (and I'm not a core dev) that I do not see most of the bugs. I have not come across a problem that I couldn't fix myself.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Fixing (workarounds) is one thing, but especially the grids were more handy in v3.X (for my usage). Maybe I am wrong, but for now they don´t satisfy me.
    Checkout Apollo, an ExtJS4-based Apache Cassandra client: http://www.codefreun.de/en/apollo-en

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    alphadogg is on a distinguished road

I generally like (want to like?) ExtJS4, but I've had to do lots of overriding and extending to get the Grid to behave properly in simple CRUD scenarios.

Ready for production? Generally not, although I am putting a single page with a heavily altered grid in production since, according to my many tests, it passes.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    I have seen a lot of posts about people not having success with Ext JS 4 but I must say (and I'm not a core dev) that I do not see most of the bugs. I have not come across a problem that I couldn't fix myself.
    The problem is two-fold: a) poor documentation, and b) when something doesn't work, it's a hell of a ride to figure out why. On the flip side, it's fully open and I've been able to roll up my sleeves, and make parts work that don't. The negative is that I have to waste my company's time and money rolling up sleeves...

Vote Rating
    lukefowell89 is on a distinguished road

Completely agree, the whole Ext JS 4 Framework is absolutely riddled with bugs and we have at 3 developers working constantly for weeks on end just to repair the shoddy coding by the core devs. After a month we have managed to override about thousands of lines of code in order to get things working and in the process reported at least 10 bugs to Sencha, but finding several more which we fixed and haven't reported.

Having the ability to fix the problems isn't the real issue, we can fix it but why should we have to fix a product that have a large dedicated team of developers working on. It should be done right. It is quite clear that alot of the framework has been modified from Ext JS 3 and then tryed to mash some new features in without fully intergrating them to all the components.

However, after weeks and weeks we have managed to 99% translate from 3 to 4. However think Sencha need to revise the TreePanel, GridPanel, Locking Columns, Windows and more.
    My Web Design, Development & Internet Marketing Blog: http://www.aztec-online.com
    Read My Review of the latest Ext JS Framework:Ext JS 4 Review

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating

Dear Sencha,

I know it can be difficult to hear the frustrated users, but speaking for myself, as much as I am currently frustrated by some aspects of ExtJS4, I do like it a lot right now and basically want to love it. It is likely the only real broadly-complete JS framework worth using. It's probably why you will have lots of people venting about it, patching it themselves, and should be taken as a positive that people are interested.

If we weren't, overworked devs would move on to other solutions and not give you any feedback at all.

PS: I agree that one think sorely lacking is someone or something that is visibly organizing this feedback for end-user devs.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by alphadogg View Post
    Dear Sencha,

I know it can be difficult to hear the frustrated users, but speaking for myself, as much as I am currently frustrated by some aspects of ExtJS4, I do like it a lot right now and basically want to love it. It is likely the only real broadly-complete JS framework worth using. It's probably why you will have lots of people venting about it, patching it themselves, and should be taken as a positive that people are interested.

If we weren't, overworked devs would move on to other solutions and not give you any feedback at all.

PS: I agree that one think sorely lacking is someone or something that is visibly organizing this feedback for end-user devs.
    Thank you for your words and I would agree. I have been using Ext JS since the beginning and just this year been hired on at Sencha so I have been the complainer many times before. This also tells me that releasing a new major version has always have problems but we are trying to minimize them. We have some devs worked very hard at fixing the issues that have been reported and some devs working with our support subscribers. What people don't see is that we are working very, very hard. For instance, 4th of July, we were still working even though we had the day off. It's not just a job to us, it's a passion. My girlfriend is very unhappy because I work a lot and it seems to be on my mind more than her... oops lol
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

@Mitchell: Personally I have no doubt that you are working hard. It´s just some critics about the new Ext, not you guys!

Maybe it´s getting better as soon as the first "real life" tutorials or books are available ...

Sencha - Community Support Team jay@moduscreate.com's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

I agree with the OP! What scares me is messages of 4.0.4 circulating. What!?

FWIW, I just posted a bug fix to the Panel tool tooltip issue.

As i comb through the framework for ExtJS 4 in action and training materials for Modus/Create, I will highlight all bugs, and fix simple ones.

I'm trying my best as a volunteer :P