Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    quickfire55 is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: Theming Sencha Touch - Compass & SASS Required?

Answered: Theming Sencha Touch - Compass & SASS Required?

I'm pretty new to Sencha Touch. From what I've played with, it's a great framework. I'm working on my first production site and I'm having some issues wrapping my mind around the theming. Are Compass & SASS really required to change the colors of the theme? It seems ludicrous to me that a simple color change would require so much work. I'm working on a Windows 7 machine and I don't know Compass, SASS, or Ruby.

Am I missing something?

UPDATE

I purchased the Compass.app and told it to watch my SenchaTouch\Resources\SASS folder and I got this error message: pastebin.com/gksz3kUf. For a newcomer to Sencha, Compass/SASS, and Ruby, how am I supposed to know where to go from there?
    Last edited by jayrobinson; 11 Aug 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Changed SSAS to SASS for SEO purposes.

2. You can take the other route by modifying the .css files that Sencha provides. Or make a new .css and copy the sencha.css content (to customize your own without overwriting Sencha's).

Look at your sencha touch folder (sencha-touch-1.1.0) -> resources -> css-debug
    and pull out the sencha.css

Then just modify the hex/color values to get what you want. There is plenty of RGB/Hex color tables out on the internet too.

The debug version will help you navigate since the code is not all on one line.

Hope that helps a little

Touch Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    jjerome is on a distinguished road

You can take the other route by modifying the .css files that Sencha provides. Or make a new .css and copy the sencha.css content (to customize your own without overwriting Sencha's).

Look at your sencha touch folder (sencha-touch-1.1.0) -> resources -> css-debug

Then just modify the hex/color values to get what you want. There is plenty of RGB/Hex color tables out on the internet too.

The debug version will help you navigate since the code is not all on one line.

Hope that helps a little

Vote Rating
    davidkaneda is on a distinguished road

Hi quickfire55,

First, from an official point of view, no — a custom theme is not required for the contest, but of course will help your chances. Also: As jjerome mentioned, you're totally welcome to adapt the theme just using CSS as you normally would. Sass just makes things much easier by using variables and some color theory magic.

That being said, I'm not quite sure what your error is, except it looks like it's not finding our themes folder. I would check your config.rb to see if the paths look correct. Have you read this? http://www.sencha.com/blog/an-introd...g-sencha-touch

Thanks,
    Dave

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Yes, I've read and re-read the tutorial. Here's the error I'm currently getting when trying to compile:

error Application.scss (Line 5: File to import not found or unreadable: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\SenchaTouch\resources\themes\stylesheets\sencha-touch\default\all.
    Load paths:
    C:/inetpub/wwwroot/SenchaTouch/resources/SCSS
    C:/Users/jimmyh/Desktop/compass.app/lib/ruby/compass_0.11/compass-0.11.5/frameworks/blueprint/stylesheets
    C:/Users/jimmyh/Desktop/compass.app/lib/ruby/compass_0.11/compass-0.11.5/frameworks/compass/stylesheets
    C:/Users/jimmyh/Desktop/compass.app/lib/ruby/compass_extensions/compass-960-plugin-0.10.0/stylesheets
    C:/Users/jimmyh/Desktop/compass.app/lib/ruby/compass_0.11/html5-boilerplate-1.0.0/stylesheets
    C:/inetpub/wwwroot/SenchaTouch/resources/themes/stylesheets
    Compass::SpriteImporter)

Any ideas?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

I figured this out.

This line:
    load File.join(dir, '..', 'themes')

Had to be changed to:
    load File.join(dir, '..', 'themes','compass_init.rb')

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Answers
    djaytwt is on a distinguished road

"Look at your sencha touch folder (sencha-touch-1.1.0) -> resources -> css-debug

"
    Hi Does this holds true for even Sencha touch chart ?? I want to change the text font , size, style , inside Pie chart ,I observed when i removed sencha touch full css, styling associated with legends, got off, but Pie was left unaffected