Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    BillHubbard has a spectacular aura about BillHubbard has a spectacular aura about BillHubbard has a spectacular aura about

Default Unanswered: Help Using LocalStorage

Unanswered: Help Using LocalStorage

I want to set up a cache of static data in local storage, but am stumbling over a couple of fundamentals:
    • How do I check to see if the current browser supports local storage?
    • How do I check local storage to see if my data is already there?
    Thanks

Answers
    Vote Rating
    skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of

To answer your first question, checking whether it is supported is not as easy as it should be due to a FF bug. See:

http://diveintohtml5.org/detect.html

I'm not sure I understand your second question. What problem are you trying to solve with this check? How does this fit into an ExtJS context?

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Probably would be nice to have it in Ext.supports...

Code:
    Ext.supports.LocalStorage = 'localStorage' in window && window['localStorage'] !== null;
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Answers
    Vote Rating
    skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of skirtle has much to be proud of

Agreed, though from what I've read it seems you need to wrap it in a try/catch for old FF. From a quick search of the ExtJS code it seems that this pattern is used for detecting local storage, just not assigned to Ext.supports.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    BillHubbard has a spectacular aura about BillHubbard has a spectacular aura about BillHubbard has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. As to my second question, I'm populating a local store with relatively static data retrieved from the server. I want to check if the local store has already been populated so I know whether to retrieve it from the server. I wound up having to read from the local store (which returns a success whether the data is there or not) and checking the record count. I thought there must be a more straightforward way to test for this.

Thread Participants: 2