Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    DavidSSL is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: What are the implications of using the jQuery adapter

Answered: What are the implications of using the jQuery adapter

Hi,

From my understanding, it is possible to use the jQuery framework in lieu of the ext-base classes. My questions regard the implications of doing that. So
    1. What are the general repercussions of doing this?
    2. How is performance affected?
    3. Is this likely to be supported as and when Ext.Js and jQuery grow since it is my understanding that there is in effect a mapping of jQuery methods to Ext.J?
    4. Would you recommend doing this ?
    TIA,

David

2. ExtJS 4 no longer has adapters but support has been improved for working alongside other frameworks. All extensions to the core prototypes (such as Array and String) have been removed so as to avoid collisions with other JavaScript libraries.

Personally I've never felt the need to run another library at the same time as ExtJS. Unless you have a specific reason to do it I wouldn't bother.

I can't comment on the performance impact though it goes without saying there will be the overhead of downloading the extra library.

Answers
    Vote Rating
    skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future

ExtJS 4 no longer has adapters but support has been improved for working alongside other frameworks. All extensions to the core prototypes (such as Array and String) have been removed so as to avoid collisions with other JavaScript libraries.

Personally I've never felt the need to run another library at the same time as ExtJS. Unless you have a specific reason to do it I wouldn't bother.

I can't comment on the performance impact though it goes without saying there will be the overhead of downloading the extra library.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Hi Skirtle,

Thank you for your answer and pointing out the fact that Ext.Js 4 no longer supports adapters. I suppose that settles it.

The reason for jQuery is the fact that within the team we are most comfortable with using it for DOM manipulation.

David

Answers
    Vote Rating
    stevil will become famous soon enough

@DavidSSL,

there's no reason you can't *also* use jQuery, and use it to select/manipulate DOM - you just can't use it to manipulate the Ext-ish-ness(-ness) of components.

stevil

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Thank you stevil. I think I'll stick to the Ext way of doing things to get the full goodness as you say.

Thread Participants: 2