Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    aq2.sanger is on a distinguished road

Default Auto-sizing a container to size of its children - how?

Auto-sizing a container to size of its children - how?

Hello,

As always, let's have some sample code that reflects my situation:

PHP Code:
    Ext.onReady(function () {

Ext.create('Ext.panel.Panel', {

renderToExt.getBody(),

title'Hello',

layout: {

type'hbox',

shrinkToFittrue

},

html'<p>Testing</p>',

tbar: {

xtype'buttongroup',

title'Click one',

items: [
                {

text'Button1'

},
                {

text'Button2'

}
                ]
            }
        });
    }); 
    So I'm adding a ButtonGroup to the top toolbar of a panel, and the combined width of the buttons is a lot less than the width of the panel. However, but ButtonGroup sets its width to the width of the panel rather than the combined width of the buttons.

How do I make a container like the ButtonGroup automatically be the size of its components (the buttons) rather than the container? Ext3 did this automatically, so I just want to get that behavior back.

Thanks

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

HBox doesn't support auto sizing. You must put a height or a flex on each child.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    HBox doesn't support auto sizing. You must put a height or a flex on each child.
    You mean a width? I'm talking about width here, not height, just to clear up any confusion.

Well, each button already has a width based on its text. The container SHOULD just shrink itself to fit them since that's what tables (which the container is based on) do by default. It did that in ExtJS 3, so it must be possible. I tried setting flex: 1 on all the buttons - no effect.

Help?
    --
    Regards,
    Asfand Qazi
    Team 87 HTGT
    Sanger Institute

Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

Yes... width or height... doesn't support auto-sizing so you will have to specify heights and widths.

Have you looked into Column layout?

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

The whole point of the exercise is to get the container as tight around the buttons in it as possible for aesthetic purposes. I have just looked at column layout and it also needs explicit widths, so that won't serve my purposes - surely it's not that hard to say to a container, "set your width to the accumulated widths of your items plus your own border widths"? HTML tables do this by default anyway, after all.

Thanks
    --
    Regards,
    Asfand Qazi
    Team 87 HTGT
    Sanger Institute

Vote Rating

Sure... just don't use HBox layout

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Ah.... maybe I should elaborate. I tried the default 'table' layout too, and it also stretches across to fill the whole top dock of the panel I added it to, just like when I used a hbox (which is implemented as a table under-the-covers anyway, isn't it). Checking the DOM, it has been given an explicit width.

Now, in ExtJS, ButtonGroups also had explicit widths, and without any layout manager they constrained their width to the total width of the buttons like I want the ExtJS 4 one to do. So I'm just asking how I can get that behaviour back.

Thanks
    --
    Regards,
    Asfand Qazi
    Team 87 HTGT
    Sanger Institute

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    brianpolk is on a distinguished road

I am in agreement with aq2.sanger. Best I can tell, none of the V4 layout managers provide for resizing the container to accommodate the contents. Even with fit, in porting apps from V3 I've found that I have to move the size spec from the contained component to the container. The container pays no attention to the size of contained items. It is not solved by not using hbox. None of the layout managers appear to provide for adjusting a container to adapt to the components therein. This poses some significant problems.

Some layout managers have a param: bindToOwnerCtContainer and/or bindToOwnerCtComponent, but the doc isn't clear, and they do not seem to have any effect. It might be helpful to know if these config params might somehow provide a solution.

Ext JS Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    ngd is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you guys have any answer to this? I too am facing the same problem. I need my container to have the height calculated from its childredn.

Sencha Premium Member Troy Wolf's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    Troy Wolf is on a distinguished road

Question Resizing container to children

Resizing container to children

I too am struggling to "simply" have a container (panel) size it's height to "fit" it's content. With the caveat that if the content is too big to fit the max possible height (constrained by it's own container), the panel should provide a scrollbar to access the overflow.