Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    hyperionab is on a distinguished road

Default Sencha.io Sync Beta Open for Public

Sencha.io Sync Beta Open for Public

Sencha Touch folks!

We're happy to release to you the public beta of Sencha.io Sync. We're releasing it early to the forums to give you a preview of the broader beta we'll make available later this month.

In order to get going, download the Getting Started guide here:

http://cdn.sencha.io/sencha-io-sync-getting-started-20110913.pdf

You'll also need a special Sencha Touch, version "1.2.0", which is a special build of Touch 1.1 that includes the new "syncstorage" that's needed to connect up to Sencha.io Sync. It can be downloaded here:
    http://cdn.sencha.io/touch/sencha-touch-1.2.0-alpha-20110913.zip
    (2011-09-20: see below for updated build)

We're making this build specially available for people participating in the SenchaCon 2011 app contest (http://www.sencha.com/share-contest) and folks who are interested in trying out Sencha.io Sync.

Please note that this is a beta, so please do not use it for production environments or mission critical applications. Since it's a beta, the APIs may change and your data may get lost. We don't expect it to, but since it's a beta, anything is possible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Aditya Bansod
    Sencha Product Management

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    steve1964 is on a distinguished road

Hi, Sencha Touch 1.2.0 is a specail build of 1.1.0 or 1.1.1?

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

It's actually a build of Touch 1.1.1, so there are a few bug fixes we may not have released yet.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Hi folks -- we have an update build for Sync.

http://cdn.sencha.io/touch/sencha-to...a-20110920.zip

This update fixes a bug in Sync and Touch where you were unable to dynamically create a store that uses Sync.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    mr.b is on a distinguished road

Default Desktop sync?

Desktop sync?

Hi,
    Sorry if I missed this somewhere else: Is there also a special build needed for Ext-js to test this?

Or is only Sencha Touch supported at the moment?

Thanks,
    Brett

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Right now only Sencha Touch is supported. Ext JS is in the roadmap but we're starting with Touch.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    xjamundx is on a distinguished road

Question Helps us get around local storage limitations

Helps us get around local storage limitations

Hi,

I built an app for a company that measures sidewalks. We're currently using local storage and often after a lot of entries that app basically will lose all of the data. (It's sort of recoverable, but essentially we go over the limit and weird things start to happen). Does sencha.io magically solve this problem for me, because it's all backed up to the cloud or does it still rely primarily on local storage and therefore not last beyond 2.5 - 5mb?

Oh and if anyone has any suggestions to help us get around the local storage issue that would be great.

Thanks,

Jamund Ferguson

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

The local replica is stored in localstorage, so we do have the same limitations as the localstorage does. The server has a full replica (i.e. the sync of it), but since we use localstorage to keep the replica, we have the same limitations as the browser.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    dolowoyo is on a distinguished road

Default Sync to our own data stores

Sync to our own data stores

Sencha.IO sync is some good news.

I'm still trying to figure out how this will work for my company's app. Our IPad app (still in the works) will involve A LOT of data (sensitive and secure). We currently plan on developing a service layer on top of our application layer & databases (sql server). Whenever our users are online, then our app uses our services to read/write data, but when no connection is available (for whatever reason), we plan on storing data locally, and then syncing it back up to our live stores.

Now Sencha.io sync seems to help resolve this issue, but from all the docs i've read so far, it syncs to a Sencha cloud location (pls correct me if i'm wrong). But am I able to sync up to our own live stores when the user's device regains connectivity?

Looking forward to your responses.
    Last edited by dolowoyo; 30 Sep 2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added to the question

Sencha User
    Vote Rating

Hi there -- right now, we only sync to our cloud and that's likely how it'll be for a while. We store a bunch of metadata in order to make the sync work. We're looking for the future (think: after 1.0) to have webhooks so that you can get callbacks when the state changes, but right now it's only w/in our cloud.