Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Vikram Singh is on a distinguished road

Default Unanswered: Using Eclipse for Developing ExtGWT Applications

Unanswered: Using Eclipse for Developing ExtGWT Applications

Hi All,

I am new to Eclipse and extGWT.

I have found a link - http://www.sencha.com/learn/getting-...-with-ext-gwt/
    it helps in basic config of eclipse, I followed all the steps and then after testing the simple hello world app, I tried my hands on basic grid example available through http://www.sencha.com/products/extgwt/examples/. I created a new project with the name SimpleGrid and copied all the code available on the examples page onto my java file under client package.

I did face some issues like unresolved -

import com.extjs.gxt.samples.resources.client.Resources;
    import com.extjs.gxt.samples.resources.client.TestData;
    import com.extjs.gxt.samples.resources.client.model.Stock;

For these, I copied entire source files under resources folder (that comes
    under gxt-2.2.5/samples/resources/src/com/extjs/gxt/samples) into src folder of my eclipse app.

After all these exercises, when I tried to run the project, in the console it gives following error -
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Loading modules
    org.sample.SimpleGrid
    [ERROR] Unable to find 'org/sample/SimpleGrid.gwt.xml' on your classpath; could be a typo, or maybe you forgot to include a classpath entry for source?
    [ERROR] shell failed in doStartup method
    --------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned earlier, SimpleGrid is my project name and also is the name of java file under client package, which I modified to have basic grid code. From where this has come up, can some one help in resolving this?

I would also like to request for more detailed steps (with examples) on the same with database connectivity and features including advanced ExtJS widgets.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vikram

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    Vikram Singh is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I would appreciate if some one could reply to my queries.

Thanks and Regards
    Vikram

Sencha - GXT Dev Team
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light Colin Alworth is a glorious beacon of light

Regarding your setup issues: Did you get the basic GWT hello world to work before adding GXT to the project? What version of GWT are you using, and are you using the Google Plugin for Eclipse to run? The GXT widgets and controls are based off of the GWT toolkit, so if a basic GWT project doesnt work, GXT cannot work. Other getting started examples are available at http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/usingeclipse.html

Ext GWT is related to Ext JS only in name, and in basic scope - no Ext JS widgets can be used with Ext GWT.

As far as database connectivity goes, the same basic rules for building standard J2EE servlets apply to GWT. We encourage developers to use GWT's RPC (see http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/do...unication.html) to communicate with their Java-based servers, and there are examples in the samples you looked at as to how to set that up. Many users have many different ways of talking to their backend database, using such systems as JPA, Hibernate, or even directly making SQL requests - any of these can be used to get data, and return it through a RPC servlet.

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    _bv_ is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Vikram Singh View Post
    Hi All,

Loading modules
    org.sample.SimpleGrid
    [ERROR] Unable to find 'org/sample/SimpleGrid.gwt.xml' on your classpath; could be a typo, or maybe you forgot to include a classpath entry for source?
    [ERROR] shell failed in doStartup method
    Do you have this file in your project? If yes, could you show its content?

Thread Participants: 2