View Poll Results: Is it easier to develop a widget in Ext 2?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, in Ext 1.0 it's a piece of cake

1 3.85%
  • It's the same.

1 3.85%
  • Yes, in Ext 2 you have so much going for you

19 73.08%
  • I don't know

5 19.23%
    Vote Rating
    dotnetCarpenter is on a distinguished road

Default Developing Widgets: Ext 1.* or 2.*

Developing Widgets: Ext 1.* or 2.*

I'm building an extension for Ext 1.1.1. At first I thought it was gonna be a small component - nothing fancy. But now it's starting to grow to grid like proportion and I can see that I will have to redesign it for it to play nicely with the rest of Ext and work as intended, e.g. plug-in anywhere.

Now I'm wondering if it's worth developing the component for the Ext 1.1.1 platform and not Ext. 2.0. I know some of you out there have extensive experience with Ext ux development. What do you think? Is it easier to create widgets for Ext 2.0 compared to Ext 1.*? What thing that bothers me now is all the events I have to manually implement, when the documentation is so vague about them.

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

2.0 is the way to go. The component architecture is much cleaner. As for the vague events, I'm not sure what you mean? All the events are documented.
    Jack Slocum
    Ext JS Founder
    Original author of Ext JS 1, 2 & 3.
    Twitter: @jackslocum
    jack@extjs.com

Vote Rating

As for the events: yes, but I not sure how the events should be implemented. A hint to where one can see it in the wild would be great. Like the "render" event. If I fire it at the end of my code the HTML (my component uses MasterTemplates to ease the dom creating) is not in the page and a listener function won't be able to do much with it. I know it my responsibility as the component developer but I feel a little lost as such.

Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by jack.slocum View Post
    2.0 is the way to go. The component architecture is much cleaner. As for the vague events, I'm not sure what you mean? All the events are documented.
    OMFG is it ever! bravo!

Vote Rating
    jack.slocum will become famous soon enough jack.slocum will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by dotnetCarpenter View Post
    As for the events: yes, but I not sure how the events should be implemented. A hint to where one can see it in the wild would be great. Like the "render" event. If I fire it at the end of my code the HTML (my component uses MasterTemplates to ease the dom creating) is not in the page and a listener function won't be able to do much with it. I know it my responsibility as the component developer but I feel a little lost as such.
    You don't need to fire the built in events. The base classes will handle all that for you. All you do is implement the template methods provided by Component (or others further down if needed). If you look at the existing Ext Components, that is what they do. The only events they fire are the new ones added specifically by that component.
    Jack Slocum
    Ext JS Founder
    Original author of Ext JS 1, 2 & 3.
    Twitter: @jackslocum
    jack@extjs.com

Vote Rating

Wow, I missed that. I will look into it but probably for Ext 2.0 instead of 1.*, induced by the poll.