Vote Rating
    bastard is on a distinguished road

Default Amazon Fire Tablet support? - Browser Silk?

Amazon Fire Tablet support? - Browser Silk?

Sencha Team: Do you guys think Sencha Touch will work for the Amazon Fire? Supposedly is uses a very modified version of Android. They have their own weird browser called the Amazon Silk:

http://searchengineland.com/amazon-a...s-google-94664

Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

According to this, Silk is webkit-based. So it's quite possible it will. The devil is in the details, and we'd have to see how it's cloud-based optimization affected the javascript and resources used by Sencha Touch. It could go either way.

Vote Rating

Hope you are correct. Analysts are predicting significant market penetration for Amazon Fire. Hell, for $200 I already pre-ordered mine.

-Shikhir

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

No official word but there are a few of us that pre-ordered it so I'm sure it will be checked out... nothing official tho
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating
    wilzdezign is on a distinguished road

Let the Fire begin! haha.. same here, for that price and for those with no tablets, it is a door opener to get one. It would be nice to use the Silk Browser for testing though even on desktop sites. But it being webkit, it should work well (crossing fingers).

Anyone hear about an App Market for the Kindle Fire? With Sencha Touch 2 on the horizon with the added app-builder, it would be nice to start getting the apps up on the app stores there too. But I understand it will be a while until the Sencha team has time to play (test) with the Fire to support it for ST 2.1

Vote Rating
    wilzdezign is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb

Just watched this video on Amazon Silk

Wow will this make the mobile experience faster with putting everything (98%) in the cloud. Same concept with Sencha.io for resizing images on the fly, but now for the HTML and JS too.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    bdvr is on a distinguished road

Silk looks very intriguing, although the security aspect is definitely a concern. In a way, this approach seems like sort of a step backward. It seems designed to optimize the traditional server-centric brochure-ware style web experience rather than rich client web apps. The need for the cloud rendering may suggest that the Fire itself is underpowered, and at its price point, that wouldn't be a big surprise.

If nothing else, the part about optimizing what goes over the wire might be useful for speding up AJAX requests, provided the device has enough juice to render our UIs.

Vote Rating

I totally agree with you bdvr.

Additionally, I am not sure I like the fact that Amazon gets to decide which content I get to see and which I don't. I am curious if they will block certain sites, because fact remains - they can if the deam content inappropriate or too bandwidth consuming(Comcast anyone?). Also, they have a record of every site the Amazon Fire tablet user has ever been to.

What I'm curious is if the other browsers which can be downloaded from the App store will work. It's be cool if it's Silk was an option. It would suck if it's mandatory.

Sencha - Senior Forum Manager mitchellsimoens's Avatar
    Vote Rating
    mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute mitchellsimoens has a reputation beyond repute

It's dual-core so as far as the CPU goes it has plenty of power... RAM is unspecified but I would think it would be at least 512MB as it's pretty cheap.

Everything going through their EC2 service does kind of suck but they are probably going to be caching things so it could be fast in most cases. For things that we build, not sure I like it not to mention the enterprise clients I dev for won't like their stuff going through it so Fire will never be used by them.

I wouldn't expect having access to the Android Market but only Amazon's App Store. Hopefully they haven't disabled the ability to install 3rd party apps in case some apps aren't in the app store.

In any case... I will be firing up some of my stuff on the Fire to see how it goes in November.
    Mitchell Simoens @SenchaMitch
    Sencha Inc, Senior Forum Manager

Think my support is good? Get more personalized support via a support subscription. https://www.sencha.com/store/

Need more help with your app? Hire Sencha Services services@sencha.com

Want to learn Sencha Touch 2? Check out Sencha Touch in Action that is in print!

When posting code, please use BBCode's CODE tags.

Vote Rating
    jep will become famous soon enough jep will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellsimoens View Post
    I wouldn't expect having access to the Android Market but only Amazon's App Store.
    Right, it's already confirmed that you buy stuff from Amazon and Amazon only. Remember their repeated slogan, "It's a service, not a tablet."

Hopefully they haven't disabled the ability to install 3rd party apps in case some apps aren't in the app store.
    See above. Amazon is definitely intent on keeping this a walled garden. I'd say the chances of installing non-Amazon App Store software is about nil without some sort of jailbreaking. This is basically Amazon's iPad.