Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    rix1505 is on a distinguished road

Default Why Sencha ?

Why Sencha ?

Hi. I'm new, and I'm not sure how or even why I would use sencha tools in a project I am about to start.

Basically so far I have built websites in html css php and mysql. Last project was a cruise holidays website which had content management. The mysql database is used for the content, and php forms and pages manage it, straight forward.

What would I use a framework for ? What can I do in Sencha that I can't do in Css / php ? Forgive my ignorance, I'm keen to learn but at the same time, am I just looking a different ways to skin the same cat ?

Next project is to create an online application for producing simple websites from a base website template with editable layout, colours, backdrops and text styles, from which a 'finished' website is output, that has content management.

Can anyone tell me how Sencha Framework might help deliver this project.

thanks and apologies if I am the thickest chap on here

Ext Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    bone is on a distinguished road

To me, its more a question of efficiency and browser compatibility.

I still have nightmares about the days where I had to make editable grids, trees, drag'n'drop and RIA in general using self-developed frameworks and XMLHttpRequest....

With Sencha you get a bundle of tools and components, which are easily extendable, well documented, well maintained and compatible in all browsers.

One could always argue about the pitfalls of Sencha and weird things that happens in certain rendering modes in certain browers (read: IE) where Sencha as a company fails to deliver fixes.

But it will still save you a huge amount of time you'd have to invest in developing, maintaining and bugfixing your own framework.

It's doable to draw a perfect circle, but it's easier if you have a circular object to use as a guide.
    Founder of the Path of Exticism

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    dennisr is on a distinguished road

Well, with the emergence of a lot of online applications, the ability to port your media in such populated links would just make the availability even better.

I mean, with a lot of applications out there running on flash, it makes sure that components are going to be used in a lot of options. And being usable to a lot of browsers, is nothing short of an add-on, really.

Vote Rating
    skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future skirtle has a brilliant future

Sencha offer several products and services but from your description I'd start by taking a look at the ExtJS demos:

http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/examples/

The first question you should ask is whether you want to use a framework that allows you to do the things you see in those demos. If you don't then it's a non-starter. If you do then ExtJS may be the fastest way to develop your application.

Sencha's frameworks are JavaScript intensive. You should consider whether this is acceptable for the application you are writing and whether you and your team have the relevant skills given your expected deadlines.

ExtJS is targeted at web applications, as opposed to web sites. If you want a small JS library for doing DOM manipulation then Ext Core is an option, comparable to jQuery.

Sencha Premium Member
    Vote Rating
    dmackerman is on a distinguished road

The better question is why your next project is:

reate an online application for producing simple websites from a base website template with editable layout, colours, backdrops and text styles, from which a 'finished' website is output, that has content management.
    When hundreds of sites offering that solution already exist.