Sencha Premium Member
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    NickT is on a distinguished road

Default Answered: Ext.define xtype vs alias

Answered: Ext.define xtype vs alias

Hello,
    I was noticing that in the defining of Ext.dataview.List, an xtype was provided as part of the config, whereas with a field extension, like TextArea, an alias was provided...

alias :'widget.textareafield',

is the xtype derived from the alias for field extensions. Is there a precedence if both an alias and xtype are defined in the config. What is the best practice for defining the xtype as was done with Ext.reg in 1.1

thanks. version 2 as with all of your code looks terrific and I am eager to get my stack converted over to it.

2. This was done purely for performance. If we don't have to parse the string to get the xtype, it's faster. Instead of have xtype, ptype, ltype, and on and on, we have a specific xtype since it is so common and the rest use alias.

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    TommyMaintz will become famous soon enough TommyMaintz will become famous soon enough

Hi,

For components the preferred mechanism to define an xtype is to use the xtype: 'myxtype' syntax. It is just a convenience as it gets converted into alias: 'widget.myxtype' internally. The alias in TextArea is just an oversight. The alias property is more generic and applies to all classes. For example layouts use alias: 'layout.mylayoutname'.

Answers
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

I use xtype too for extensions to Component.. But this is does ad some confusion.

Sencha - Sencha Touch Dev Team Jamie Avins's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough Jamie Avins is a jewel in the rough

This was done purely for performance. If we don't have to parse the string to get the xtype, it's faster. Instead of have xtype, ptype, ltype, and on and on, we have a specific xtype since it is so common and the rest use alias.

Answers
    Vote Rating
    jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all jay@moduscreate.com is a name known to all

Dude i agree with this change 100%. Coming from Ext 4, it's a tad confusing - that's all.

I *really* hope this makes it way into Ext 4. Every time i do a bootcamp, I get confused looks when I start to go beyond 'xtype' into 'type, ftype, ptype', etc.

Sencha - Community Support Team edspencer's Avatar
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough edspencer is a jewel in the rough

ftype, ptype and the rest need to die
    Ext JS Senior Software Architect
    Personal Blog: http://edspencer.net
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/edspencer
    Github: http://github.com/edspencer

Sencha User
    Vote Rating
    slchorne is on a distinguished road

Default they're 2 different operations

they're 2 different operations

i think mixing the use of 'xtype' and 'alias' is confusing, and (knowing how I write code) leads to ugly syntax errors. To me, 'xtype' means "Instance component of this type", but in 'Ext.define' it means "Create a new component (alias) with this name/type".

And, if you start by writing some code with a lazy def :

Code:
    items:[{ 
        xtype: 'button',
        width:100,
        heght:50,
    }]
    then later decide that this would be better as it's own component, a less than careful cut/paste, or rewrite would produce this:

Code:
    Ext.define('tixButton', {
        extend: 'Ext.Button',
        xtype: 'button',
        width:100,
        heght:50,
    }]
    So you've gone either clobbered the 'button' xtype, or generated a confusing error.

It least in Ext 3, you have the clear distinction by using 'Ext.reg' to create the alias. Perhaps sticking to just 'alias' or creating a new config item like 'regXtype' would make more sense ?

Sencha User
    Answers
    Vote Rating
    michaelreneer is on a distinguished road

I am still a bit confused. When I define a component, lets say the Ext.Container below, should I assign an alias or an xtype to it? The container will have two items, a toolbar and a list. If I want the controller to be able to reference these sub views: should I assign aliases to them as well or should I give them id's?

Code:
    Ext.define('app.view.thing.List', {
    	config: {
    		layout: 'fit'
    	},
    	extend: 'Ext.Container',

initComponent: function() {
    		var toolbar = Ext.create('Ext.Toolbar', {
    			docked: 'top'
    		});

var list = Ext.create('Ext.List', {
    			itemTpl: '<p>item</p>',
    			store: 'Things'
    		});

this.add([
    			toolbar,
    			list
    		]);

this.callParent();
    	}
    });

Answers
    Vote Rating
    castitas is on a distinguished road

It's been a while, but I figured I'd tie up the loose question at the end.

When you define a component, use an alias.
    When you create an instance of a component (one that will be rendered) use an id.

sidenote: You don't have to give them id's to reference objects defined in items, as you can use .down(' ') to get to them.

The ext standard for the vars in the code above should probably be placed in a config object under tbar/dockedItems and items.
    word